Aimbots, wallhacks and cheats, oh my!

Title Aimbots, wallhacks and cheats, oh my!
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When May 1, 2014

Hacker! Bot! Cheater! These are accusations that get thrown around in online games a lot. Outdistance your opponents by a significant margin and you may see these words splash onto the chat feed..

Read the full article

If only there was a program out there to combat this corruption. A program that fights for the users.

Using machine learning to allow cheating on consoles. Basically machine learning controls the aim and trigger.

HN commenter mentioned he used to use a TV capture card and camera pointed at screen routed to another monitor that would identify where enemies were last seen and colorize them on the output in RTS/MOBA games. Pretty clever.

I remember reading articles not too long ago about companies and individuals selling these cheats being subject to legal action in some countries. Apparently lawsuits and prison aren’t enough of a deterrent for these people in the face of making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year doing what amounts to hobbyist coding.

It reminds me of the current plague of international scam calls, where the operation is extremely illegal in India (where most of the scammers are based) and the scammers frequently get caught, but it’s still lucrative enough to be worth renting out office buildings solely to house the scammers and their computers.

In China and elsewhere the subscription cheats for the mobile phone versions of the games are quite profitable as well.