Airplane pr0n

That reminds me of a trip when I was in college. I was returning to Kansas after summer break from Seattle, and was doing the 3 day drive. I was somewhere between Casper & Cheyenne driving my Toyota Corolla. Had a shoebox filled with tapes, window rolled down and the stereo cranked.

I had my camera, a Yashica FR II, with a 80-200 zoom on the seat next to me as I’d seen elk and antelope and always wanted to be ready. It was the middle of the afternoon. I don’t recall seeing a lot of cars on the road.

I don’t know what caused me to look, but I look over to the east (my left) and this B52 is about 100’ off the deck coming straight at me. Talk about an oh shit moment!

I let off the gas, hit the brakes and pulled off to the side of the road, grabbed my camera and it was gone. No where to be seen.

No doubt doing some low flying training, I’m sure they got a chuckle.

Well, actually, the fastest object ever made by humans is this one. 213,200 mph currently, with a max speed of 430,000 mph.

I trusted the internet even though I knew in my heart it had to be wrong because of spacecraft.

As penance I display my shame in the form of an ugly as sin Bf 110G.

Falcon
B2 Stealth Bomber

That’s awesome.

Too bad the codename “Falcon” was taken by the F-16… ;)

“Chickadee” was also taken, I hear.

Last fall I was driving on one of the country roads near our Wisconsin home when one of these came roaring out of the tree tops:

Herky%20Bird

It, of course, was somewhat higher than that, but not by all that much. Scared the shit out of me so badly, it was amazing I didn’t run off the road.

What an amazing design! First one flew in 1954 and 65 years on it’s still in production.

I saw a rocket-assisted short takeoff at an air show years ago.

The Blue Angels’ service C-130 “Fat Albert” used to do rocket-assisted take offs at air shows:

Yeah, that was it!

There was also a mock air-ground attack by an A10, and a couple of original stealth fighters on the ground. (They were supposed to fly, but had mechanical issues.)

Air Force One (minus President Clinton) also did a flyby.

Mach 9.6 = 7366 MPH, not 157078 MPH.

Over the years I got to see some interesting flybys at the Cleveland and Chicago lake front airshows, including the first ever public flybys by the SR-71 Blackbird and the F-117 Stealth Fighter. Also saw a rare flyby by a B-58 Hustler, which was one awesome-looking airplane:

Early Cold War bombers had that “Jet Age” beauty

A-5 Vigilante

F-101 Voodoo

The Vigilante was such an awesome airplane. The original bomber version had a rear-firing bomb bay, where the plane “pooped out” the bomb.

Literally taking a one megaton shit on the Russians.

Its true, late 50s to early 80s are the true golden age of aviation.

With the occasional 10-engine “WTF”

It may be wtf (a megaton nuke-shitting plane isn’t?) but good god is that a glorious chunk of aluminum!

Could you imagine being the maintenance chief on one of those things, though?

There’s a word for that: Job security :D

I wish that there were sims that handled more of these Flintstones aircraft. I can’t think of any sim that did the Deuce or the Six, for example. I don’t even think JFA threw them in there.

(Strike Fighters 2 doesn’t count, since it only has a basic .ini-based flight model and generic cockpits)

I mean, the F-104 was done a few times, but that is one boring aircraft (until you try to land it)