Airplane pr0n

Neat video. I would have thought that they’d get the props to spin clockwise on one side and counterclockwise on the other, but no. Is there a particular reason not to do that? Does it make a difference in the plane’s handling?

If all of them spin the same way, there’s torque on takeoff you have to counteract with rudder. (You may recall this effect from WW2 flight sims. Same deal on bigger planes.) Counter-rotating props’ torque effects cancel out.

The reason they don’t show up more often is that props which spin the same way save you having different parts for left and right engines (or adding a reversing gearbox to one side).

Scott Manley of Kerbal space program fame, just made a great video of one of the absolute hottest airplane pr0ns.

The SR-71, and it is many variants several of which I had never heard of before.

The SR-71 is kinda cool I guess. If you were to force me to fly in one I wouldn’t hold it against you.

Aww yeah, those are some fine looking senior citizens.

GILFs… Grandmas I’d like to Fly

Some totally unimportant dude standing next to some unimportant plane.

Don’t know why im posting it really.

x1

Cant imagine this guy did anything else notable.

X15

It’s really quite an undistinguished group and an unremarkable aircraft

I went back to Duxford today

I have lots of pics of fighters and bombers, but this one grabbed my interest after reading about autogyros

The Focke-Achgelis FA 330 Bachstelze

Its a gyroglider. A Kreigsmarine gyroglider no less, towed behind a U-Boat for reconnaissance.

Long range Atlantic reconnaissance in the RAF was done by Liberators, and Short Sunderlands

I also had the privilege of watching them prep this F-4 Corsair for flight, and videoed them start it up, run through the tests, pull the chocks and then the battery on my camera ran out. I did catch the rest on the phone but I have 8 mins of video of the checks Ill upload at some point which might appeal to some.

Duxford has 2 hangars of privately owned aircraft chocked full of the best of WW2 era aircraft and one of the main home bases for flying vintage aircraft.

Look to the right and first you see

and then

the place is full of retirees and enthusiasts at work on the planes and exhibits, it really feels like a working airfield not just a museum, especially the working hangars. You just can’t beat the smell of fuel, oils and engineering to add to the experience.

More here. Tanks too.

and um… mecha. I thought this was a Gepard Flakpanzer but now ive zoomed in I dont know

That last one is a Marksman, presumably mounted on a Chieftain.

My favorite vehicle in World of Tanks.

Here’s one of those Tier 9 prototypes that you never heard of until you played World of Tanks

FV214 Conqueror Heavy Tank

Yeah, found a picture of it from a better angle. I think its part of the drive a tank experience days.

https://i.imgur.com/3tV0yUN.jpg

This thread was really cookin’ until that groundpounder crap made me zip up

Knock it off

Starting up a Corsair

You mean the CAS targets?