Al Franken running for senate?

Well, you all may be right about him being elected, we’ll have to see, won’t we?

As for MN being a “pinko state”, that depends whether or not one is around tall buildings.

That’s a fair point. Are you in MN, CindySue? You sound like you’re fairly familiar with the state.

Anyway, Minneapolis and St. Paul are in fairness the most concentrated liberal areas in the state. But a lot of the rural areas are pretty blue, too - at least at the moment. It’s the wealthy suburban areas that swing to the right.

Not that much. Minnesota is amazing in voting blue while having a large rural population. And of course, as always, to some degree what people who live 1 to a mile think is outweighed by people who live 1 to a square foot. 60% of its population lives in the Twin Cities area alone, not to mention cities like Rochester with its educated population, etc.

I attribute it to Garrison Keillor.

See, and he is a pinko too. Took great pleasure in publicizing Norm Coleman’s alleged affairs.

State is filled with pseudo-rural pinkos. Lake Woebegon my ass.

Besides that I’d say Ventura was more of a libertarian.

Right now I’d say libertarian thinkers will probably favor the Democratic party until we’re out of Iraq and the defecit is a bit under control.

Ya think?

We’re about to see the rise of Western Democratic politics.

The spendaholic, privacy invading, bedroom watchers are about to go into a much deserved decline.

Al Franken’s book Giant of the Senate is a really great listen. I really enjoyed it. It goes through his younger days before comedy, then his comedy days, then Saturday Night Live days, then Air America days, then his campaign for the Senate, then his recount days after the close election in 2008, and then his days as a Senator from 2008-2016, and then Trump’s election in 2016.

The book ends with a really hopeful message about how to handle and ward off despair and how we should hold up our heads. It also has a great note from Franken about all his previous books and his obsession with lies (hence his previous books). I really liked this about the second half of his book, which covered politics. He talks a lot in his Senator sections about all the times when he worked with his Democratic colleagues, and even several times he was able to work with his Republican colleagues on issues they agreed on.

His book Lying Liars focused on how the right wing spread this lie about the media being liberal, when that was the wrong question. He showed how the mainstream media repeated the lies of the rightwing media if it served their ratings. And this new book focuses on the fact that the greatest threat from the Republican party from Limbaugh and talk radio to Fox News to now even the President’s Alternate facts and his constant decrying of the mainstream media as Fake news, is this successful blurring between Truth and Lies. He thinks that’s the greatest threat to our democracy, and that’s why it’s always the focus in his books. Democrats and Republicans might disagree on policy, but if you start thinking that all politicians lie to you, that statistics can be manipulated to show anything you want, that there is no truth anymore, that’s really dangerous to our democracy.

This kind of solidified in my own mind why I love all of Franken’s books and why his show was my favorite show on Air America despite his views not necessarily always aligning with mine.