Alien: Isolation - Aliens, Creative Assembly, and Ripley's daughter

Rumors got started last week that Relic was working on Alien Isolation 2, thanks to the UK’s Official PlayStation Magazine.

Of course, this is categorically untrue. OPM was talking out of their ass.

[quote]
Although the Halo Wars 2 team has already started prototyping its next project, likely to be a couple of years away from completion, this won’t be an Alien title.

More than that, we’re told the majority of the Alien: Isolation design team no longer works at Creative Assembly. Cross-referencing the more recent Halo Wars 2 credits with the credits for Alien: Isolation certainly suggests this is the case. In fact, most of the names that do reappear only do so in the ‘Special Thanks’ section and belong to designers that now work elsewhere.[/quote]

Remember, this is what SEGA said in 2015:

[quote]
“2.1 million sales? It just didn’t break out,” Heaton explains. "Am I happy about that? I’m not happy about that, right. I think it did under-index in America. I think the genre just didn’t shine with an audience that would let us break out. 2 million is fine, right - let’s be clear - but we were unsure right till the very end about whether we would hit that break out space or not.

"Making a AAA console game is bloody hard. We absolutely sweated blood for that game, we came through, and felt really happy at the end of it.

“Alien: Isolation 2 is not out of the question, because we’re so proud of it and there’s possibly more to be said. But do we really want to be spending very significant amounts of money, and getting close to break-even or just about in the black? That’s not where Sega wants to be, when we have a brilliant portfolio of other games that do great business.”[/quote]

To sum up: Despite the critical and audience love for this game, it’s not getting a sequel anytime soon. The sales just didn’t match up to expectations. According to SEGA’s reporting, Alien Isolation fell short of the mark by about 15%.