Alien: Isolation - Aliens, Creative Assembly, and Ripley's daughter

Easier, but also harder. The audience will expect more when you’re working with the fiction of the first three films. It also puts you in a box as far as your story goes.

I appreciate your argument though.

Didn’t ripley’s daughter die in some natural disaster or am i remembering wrong?

We didn’t visit it a lot of times the story in video game form, actually. Much less in a good game.

Finally confrimed by Sega. Late 2014 launch.

Not so much guns and space marines. Think Amnesia in space.

“The original film: everyone loves it, we all loved it, we were all really big fans,” McKellan said. “It is a survival horror film, that’s what’s it is. It’s just crying out to be a survival horror game, and we couldn’t really understand why no-one had done it, [so] we took it with both hands.”

My God, the lighting on this thing…

There’s a video of this up in Eurogamer. They have captured the mood of the first film perfectly. Whether the game’s gonna be good, I don’t know (and after Rome 2, I’ll wait for reviews) but this is definitely a very different (and therefore interesting) Alien game from pretty much everything we’ve gotten in the past 10 years (at least).

Kinda wished they had set it in the Nostromo, though. A direct adaptation of the first movie with this concept could have been awesome.

I want a game where you play as the cat.

I love that the developers are using 1970’s “future” tech from the movies like VHS taped transmissions to communicate with the player.

See my October posts above. You can pitch in to the Kickstarter.

The RPS article has my optimism level at cautiously positive.

hah, awesome

It sounds more survival horror than action, for once my fears were unfounded. Great.

Dammit. Why must there be so many Aliens-related projects that sound intriguing? They always end up disappointing. I’m gonna have to try to not get excited about this.

I’d want a game by Creative Assembly that is actually finished at launch.

Ohhh this is a good point. That might push this from a “wait for reviews from my favourite places” to a “wait until lots of people have played it and can say if the game is actually fit for consumption”.

More footage of the game in action… unfortunately accompanied by two guys talking over it the entire time. I hope this turns out to be good and not a very pretty disaster.

Mixed impressions from an RPS Hands On of this.

The writer makes a good point about the insta-fail gameplay. They need to look to the Amnesia games for inspiration on how to use monsters in a game like this, such as giving the player an opportunity to escape the alien, run and hide somewhere. Though even in Amnesia the fear didn’t last the whole game, and the monsters eventually became a bit routine, but the designers had the wit to recognise this, and by that point the tone had shifted a bit towards gory horror rather than closet scares.

It does look mint though, and visually much more in line with the original Alien film which I do like a lot.

We decided to set ourselves this constraint that we wouldn’t use any references that came after 1979

Pretty sure the hand-held motion tracker was invented in sci-fi in the 80s and is therefore a reference from the future. ;)

I’m still holding out hope for this. I’m really into the idea that an Alien game should be more like Amnesia than Call of Duty, so I hope CA can work out the balance between “run for your life” and insta-fail.

Micro-changes in air density my ass…

You’re saying it was a fart detector?