'Alien' TV series coming to FX

I mean, I don’t disagree with it, but when you’re a) the director of the first one, b) the director of Prometheus and Alien Covenant, and c) commenting on a new TV series, it’s a hilariously douchey and self-unaware thing to say.

And I think Hawley will almost certainly produce something much more worthy of the Alien legacy than either of Scott’s recent entries in the franchise.

He’s using Prometheus as an example of his good judgement? JFC

He directed two of my top 5 movies of all time so it’s hard for me to dislike him, but his opinion here isn’t worth more than anyone else’s, and shouldn’t come as much of a surprise at that. Ridley Scott is an arrogant prick, and this has been known for quite a while.

Yes, he’s done…questionable things. But also extraordinary things!

Man who fucked franchise so hard everyone basically decided his work wasn’t actually part of the franchise has thoughts on future of said franchise.

I give anything points these days for being a sequel not a prequel. Aliens show, going forward, Colonial Marines and Xenomorphs? I’m so there.

I mean, I don’t really want an Alien show, prequel or sequel. But I didn’t want a Fargo show either and Hawley pulled it off beautifully. So I’ll be there.

I’m there for the episode that starts out seeming like a sketch comedy, but somehow ties back into the plot. And also the one that’s in black and white with the xenomorph doing a dance number and actually works somehow.

I feel like I’ve seen something like that already.

I’d be super keen on a “Colonial Marines” where a bunch of smart ass marines go on a different bug hunt every episode with an over-arching Weyland-Yutani plot (WY are the ones behind each of the different kinds of bugs they fight).

Otherwise I’m rather ambivalent - so many ways an Alien series could end up being boring, repetitive or both.

I’d want the Earth apocalypse story. The damn franchise flirts with it, but then retells the same haunted house story every time out.

Just show the fall of Earth. Complete nightmare fodder.

They made that, but as a game!

-Tom

I thought that looked so repetitive though! Same aliens, different guns? Also this!

A show with different xenos, maybe even Predators, Engineers and other aliens we may not have seen, so much opportunity.

So like the A-Team then. They could have the APC jump over something in every episode.

We’re gonna need more transaxles.

I fear the cabbage cannon isn’t going to be very effective against xenomorphs

Only after the xenomorphs lock them in a workshop for a few hours so they can build smartguns that fire Working Joe teeth.

I think we got some screenplay ideas here, boys

I couldn’t make the reference without linking the best A team episode ever:

Here’s one of those things that I think is fun to ponder, though I’m unsure if the topic will be addressed by this TV series. Something I’ve always wondered, though: are there aliens in the Alien universe? I mean there’s the xenomorphs obviously, but anything else? In my opinion, you could come to either conclusion, that there are or are not aliens, based on viewing the movies.

First, the fairly matter-of-fact way that the crew of the Nostromo treat the discovery of the space jockey’s ship, and its contents. Even when they find they’ve been awoken by a mysterious signal, there’s just an exchange asking if the signal is human - the response is ‘Unknown.’ But the crew isn’t beside themselves with the discovery, there’s no ‘oh shit! First contact!’ kind of feeling. Once Kane has his facehugger encounter, their man concern with the creature is to treat it as an infection. Ripley doesn’t want to let Kane and the others onboard because of fears it will infect the crew, but there’s no discussion of this potentially new lifeform coming onboard.

In Aliens, there’s this throwaway exchange as the space marines are waking up on the Sulaco, that goes like this:

“Hey, I sure wouldn’t mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang! Remember that time?”
“Yeah, Frost, but the one that you had was a male!”
“It doesn’t matter when it’s Arcturian, baby!”

Which seems to imply there’s this alien species out there that differs biologically from humans but are still, well, engaging in sex with humans? Maybe? I mean I guess they could still be humans that just happen to be in Arcturus but have maybe modified themselves somehow? I don’t know though, three lines isn’t a lot to go on.

And then to the best of my recollection, that’s it. You only ever see humans in these movies, sometimes scurrying in fear from xenomorphs but that’s about it except for the occasional cat. Which I don’t think is a problem dramatically, why complicate the story needlessly when you’re telling a fairly basic sci-fi horror story.

I guess we could say that Prometheus complicates things a bit, looping back to throw the space jockeys back into the mix. They seem to have engineered a lot of living things out there, including possibly human beings and the precursor xenomorphs. But they’re kind of outside my question, since I’m mainly wondering if humans have regular contact with aliens and it doesn’t seem like the those guys did. Should we assume there have been other aliens out there all along and maybe for budgetary reasons are just never shown to us? Or is the Alien universe a little more hard-edged and, except for the occasional beastie that wants to eat and/or impregnate us, we’re all alone out there?

The marines also reference “bug hunts” which since they don’t know the xenomorphs exist at that point, presumably involves fighting some other lifeform. There’s some extrapolation in the extended universe stuff but I don’t know how canon any of it would be.