Alienware X51: Any QT3ers have experience?

The new Killzone PS4 game uses 3GB of VRAM. If you have a 1GB card, you will likely have problems running next-gen console ports. 2GB should be OK, but more is better.

I may finally be justified in buying that 4GB 670.

Well, killzone is exclusive to PS4, sony owns the developer, and it’s the PS4 launch title. So they’re trying to exploit the hardware as much as possible. Most games will be cross-platform, and the xbox4’s memory is rumored to be much slower. So I wouldn’t expect to see those super high res textures in use in most games. That’s why I said 1GB cards are dead but 2GB will be fine.

1GB seems to be the bottleneck for most current games (including graphical mods). Not seeing any performance issues with 1.5GB ram. My next gpu will most likely be a 4GB card when next gen gpu architectures are introduced.

Next-gen PC ports will not require 4GB of VRAM. That would be economic suicide for the publisher since so few people have cards that can support it. Maybe in five years, but not in the near future.

They will of course scale down gracefully, but if you have less than 2GB VRAM consoles will probably provide a superior experience.

Possibly a dumb question (and certainly a tangent), but will the Xbox One or PS4 support higher than 1080p? Would be interesting to see what the next-gen consoles will be able to do on higher res displays - without using a scaler, I mean.

Both the xbox1 and PS4 support 4k for movie playback. Neither supports 4k gaming.

Is that a hardware or software limitation? I bet Gran Turismo 7 promo alpha build in 2016 will be 4k capable.

hardware. You want to have your $300 console and eat it in 4k too?

We don’t know if it’s a hardware or software limitation, actually. My guess is they just don’t think it’s fast enough and are telling developers to target 1080p.

it’s definitely hardware. A GTX Titan can’t run games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and even Metro 2033 in 4k but AMD’s low power integrated graphics APU can?

No. A software limitation arbitrarily says “you can’t run 4k no matter what”. The titan is hardware limited. It’ll let you try to play games on a 4k screen. It won’t stop you. It just doesn’t have the horsepower to do it well.

I don’t think Sony will cap the resolution for games in it’s SDK. (They didn’t cap the PS3 to 720p on the software level either)

Yep, like I said, they probably just don’t think it’s fast enough, so they target 1080p. It’s basically a 7850 with ~6GB VRAM.

4k TVs still cost $25k, so it’s not exactly a big deal yet.

I suppose if you buy an 84-inch 4K TV it will cost $25K. Some brand name units in a more reasonable size are under $5K. Heck, if you’re willing to go off-brand, you can get one for $1,500.

Wow, that came down fast!