All good demons go to... um... sequel? - Diablo 3 Announced

Poor, poor pennyless Blizzard, their insanity will be their doom. :(

Judging from the cinematic, they have enough money to hire Peter Jackson. Oh, wait…no need to do that, just stealing the power of Morrrrdorrr and teh Balrog will do. ;)

Nice art, though. And I like the economy in the “let’s just do generic Diablo in 3d” decision.

You’ve seen walls od fire and bone. How 'bout a wall of zombies!

Oh boy, I can’t wait.

Apparently this was discussed in the Diablo developer’s panel, and the environments are randomly generated. They really don’t look it, which is awesome. The game will also randomly generate mini-quests, NPC encounters, and even scripted events.

This is now everything I wanted from Diablo 3.

Please close every other game threads, as we only need to discuss this one.

I don’t think “more of the same” is a bad thing in this case. Diablo 2 is still the best at what it does, and it’s really starting to show its age.

That said, I’m not inclined to care much about the game at this point, since it’s still likely several years away.

That is just batshit insane.

I count 14 little castles on the world map. I have a feeling this game is going to be huge, so I can understand why it’s 2 more years of work. iirc, diablo 2 + expansion had 5 acts, so this is 3x as big perhaps?

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/worldmap.xml

Loved Deckard Cain in the gameplay cinematic

“Stay awhile and…”
“Not now, Cain”
“Nobody ever listens!”

I think “more of the same” is a bit misleading, though (and HRose’s Titan Quest comment is just plain dumb. I’ll tell you one big difference between Diablo III and Titan Quest: Diablo III’s multiplayer won’t suck). It sounds like Blizzard is really pushing the envelope in terms of proceedurally generated gameplay, and I think that’s a big deal. Random environments is one of the things that has always made Diablo better than its clones (and is the key to its replayability, IMHO), and it sounds like they are taking that stuff a lot further in this game.

If changes to battle.net result in some type of fee or subscription, I’d gladly pay up as long as its not too high a price. Look at the 360. Sure there is a yearly subscription, but its worth it to use the best online service available to consoles. I’d rather pay for an awesome service, than have a free pretty good one.

p.s. if people hated the first and second diablo, don’t expect them to change their minds on this one…

A big comfy couch is a meme now? Wow, those things get around.

Oh, they’re still doing random environments? There goes my interest.

I think if you asked 99% of Diablo 2 players if they would buy a version of Diablo 2 with new levels, modern graphics and slightly improved gameplay, they would say “uh, yes please.”

Remember, there are hundreds of thousands of players STILL playing Diablo 2 regularly. Sometimes you don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Really? I thought the random environments were good in D2, actually. They weren’t major variants. It was always close enough to be familiar, but different enough to make you explore.

OTOH, I do like how TQ allows me to just skip past the parts that I know have no quests, etc. I know what caves to enter and which to ignore. But it still feels a bit samey after awhile. Not too much so. I’ve played TQ and IT for well over 100 hours, I’m sure. It’s a fantastic game. As good as D2 IMO.

Random environments and maps is what I really missed out of TQ. All I could think about after the first 5 min of the game play trailer was, “please let this be randomized, I don’t want to only play this once like I did TQ.”

I need to go watch the video again now that I don’t have to worry about it not being randomly generated :)

~C~

That gameplay trailer was awesome.

I am very happy, I can’t wait for this to come out. :D

How about hell yes please?

Yeah, me too. Take all the good parts of D2 and turn them up to 11.

I’ll take your word for it, but that’s really not the vibe I’m getting. When I saw the gameplay footage, it really looked to me like they were just trying to remake Diablo 1 / Diablo 2 with modern tech. As Lum pointed out, that’s actually a really good thing.

They don’t need to mess with the formula, they need to bring it up to speed with modern tech.

One other thing I noticed was that the gameplay footage seemed to be a bit more skill based, even for the barbarian. Looks like they are possibly trying to make the game less about clicking a fuck-ton and more about juggling skills into combos and stuff.