All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Ok I learned about hero and emudeck today. That’s damn cool. Adding those after I get xcloud working. And I just bought a 512gb mini sd card so I can get mame rims cooking.

Certainly not. Steam machines failed because there aren’t any Linux games. Proton fixes that. It works, not just kinda, it really works.

There aren’t a lot of AAA linux games, to be precise.

Thank Jebus for internet pedantry. You are of course correct, sirrah.

Holy crap getting xcloud working requires console/konsole linux fuckery. And it doesn’t even work.

Nothing I do will get Edge to show up in add non game to Steam.

Runs great:
BlazBlue Centralfiction
Melty Blood Type Lumina
DJ Max Respect V
Muse Dash
Touhou 18.5
Tetris Effect Connected
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
Devil May Cry 5
Earth Defense Force 4.1 (note: set up a profile on PC first or plug in an external keyboard while setting up a profile)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Dodonpachi Resurrection
Victor Vran
Portal
Superhot
Groove Coaster
Vertiginous Golf
Wings of Vi
Helltaker
Hexcells
Scarlet Nexus
Mercenary Kings
Waves
Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online

Runs poorly enough that I couldn’t stick with them, but YMMV, since other people seem to be having a great time with them:
Vampire Survivors (I exclusively play on hyper mode with max curse, so the game slows to a crawl halfway into every run)
No Man’s Sky

Got xcloud to load but it was ugly setup

I didn’t have any trouble following MS’s guide to get Edge installed and connected to Steam. They were even nice enough to include icons.

If the Steam Deck becomes enough of an hit, I assume much of these difficulties will get ironed away, but until then, part of it, it’s a Linux system.

There’s a good chance you’ll have to go to command line, and sudo stuff.

so do you have your hands on your deck right now?

Would you mind linking that guide?

Kadath linked it above.

Unfortunately, no. FedEx never fails to disappoint!

I don’t know what it is, but the past 3-4 years or so I’ve had a significant amount of problems with packages shipped via FedEx. UPS, USPS, and even Amazon don’t have issues but whenever my wife or I see FedEx as the courier we prepare for trouble. A few months ago they “delivered” a package which I eventually found on the sidewalk around the corner from my house. :|

Ah, thanks – from the difference between Vesper’s comments and Kadath’s comment I assumed Vesper used a different guide. Thanks!

Woo, Kevin! Today’s the day!! Excited for your impressions. :)

Haha! It turns out today IS the day, it just showed up! Although FedEx tracking still says it is sitting somewhere in Chicago.

Anyway, first impression: huh, that’s a pretty solid carrying case, nice! Second impression: Oh my, this thing is a chonky boy. That is not a complaint, the screen is simply much bigger than I had envisioned. That is great news for me because one of my concerns was going to be the screen/text being too small in several games I wanted to try. Despite it being bigger than I thought it would be, it’s also lighter than it looks. Sweet!

Just getting things set up now. I mean, I’m hard at work on a work project and this thing will have to wait until later. Ahem.

Nice! Congrats.

I feel like the setup and installation of alllll the games you want to play definitely qualifies as work and can be a guilt-free part of your day. Then you’re ready to game right after the whistle blows. 👍

Haha. I may be skipping lunch and just leaving round 2 pm today.

Last night I played more Fell Seal and a ton of Blood Rally Show, which was perfect. Tonight I want to try Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Well, congrats.

GLS is reporting that my own has left Germany Neunstein for the second time a couple of days ago (somehow, it also left the day before).

Guess tracking isn’t at the top of priorities for these companies. Hope it works out awesome for you.

My boss just left on a 3 week vacation so I brought my Deck here to do some, uh, “work”