All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

I am smashing the subscribe button!

Anyone tried Red Alert 3 and similar on the deck?

I’ve tried on PC, but the refresh rate is fixed and I don’t like it. Not so much of a problem on the deck, I might end up buying the rest of the classics if they play well, never played them when I was younger, think I only played the first.

I would think a game like that would be super weird with the controller-ish setup on the Deck. Can’t even fathom how to play an RTS without mouse and keyboard.

I think the Deck has track pads to help with that. I agree it would probably be weird.

Guess I’ll find out, maybe it’s fine display wise, but sucks input wise.

I put together a (tentative) list of initial titles I want to have access to on the Deck. Only Solasta is “not verified” at all, but I’ve seen it play (seemingly just fine?) on YouTube. But I have a LOT of great gaming here - the smaller sized icons are Steam Deck Verified and except Solasta the others are listed as Compatible, so it will be interesting to see how they play.

I play a LOT of Slay the Spire on my Switch - having handheld access to the Downfall mod is going to be a treat. I also read on Era that I should be able to update the custom font I used for Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster I through V on the Deck version, which is excellent and now I’m glad I forgot I wanted to play through all of those and then lost track of when VI came out!

I still haven’t had a chance to actually play anything on it but I have to say that I’m impressed with the work that Valve put in when it comes to navigating games on the Deck. By that I mean how clearly they indicate what games support it as well which games aren’t perfect but are verified to be playable. And for the latter category, it gives a breakdown of possible pain points: you may have to bring up a virtual keyboard but the text is clearly readable, other games it might warn that the text is too small, others that the game UI gives mouse and keyboard prompts.

It’s just been really easy browsing through my library seeing what runs and what doesn’t and for the partially supported games I can see at a glance if it’s something I don’t mind (mouse and keyboard prompt) or something that is a dealbreaker (text too small to read).

That’s because you did it before the process changed. It’s different now and several steps are no longer valid but the corrective steps are not obvious

What changed? When I did it a month or so ago it was just finding Edge in the Discovery thing and adding a command line parameter.

You don’t need to actually add Edge to Non Steam Games any more but you do need to reboot a time or two to get it where you can edit preferences correctly. You still need to do Konsole fuckeryw

I’m guessing there’s no way to get PC Game Pass games on this thing, is there? (Short of installing Windows…)

I think that’s covered in Kadath’s link:

The trackpads on this feel great to me, a noticeable improvement over the Steam Controller. I’ve been playing mouse-driven games that – while not fast paced or twitchy – have played just fine.

I haven’t but I would think that your ceiling would be limited. Red Alert 3 is pretty fast from what I recall and as good as they are, the trackpads lose out to a dedicated mouse even if they can do all the same things. If you try it I’d like to know what you think, my experience this far has been navigating strategy type games where speed isn’t a major concern.

Mine is already expected to arrive Tuesday EDIT: Now Monday! I was prepared for a longer arrival, I admit!

well. I hemmed and I hawwed. I dithered. I considered, very seriously. For a whole day and a half, even. I still have no idea if I’ll actually use it, but I just completed the purchase. If Lufkin’s experience is anything to go by, I should have it next week sometime.

No, not yet. You can install Windows- MS has even released some drivers- but it’s apparently a PITA, and you lose a lot of functionality. The link above is to install MS Edge Web Browser, from which you can use the Xcloud gaming feature on GP, but that all runs on Xboxen, so no PC GP games.

I didn’t either, my history with both consoles and handhelds is that I won’t use it much. The Deck has bucked the trend, though, at least so far. I’ve spent more time on that then my desktop, although that’s partly due to life circumstances (adopted a dog).

The little book says they’re planning new, upgraded decks in the future.

If you were previously in the Q4 (Oct-Dec) window, take a look - you might be in Q3 now!

Order made near the end of June got bumped into Q3.

I passed my first deck on to someone else, happy to get another so soon. I expected I’d be waiting until next year. Switched from an expensive model to the 64gb.

I think that’s going to be a good idea for them - maybe have annual models like iPhones do. It will be annoying, but it’s unlikely you would need to upgrade every year, either. Plus, the power of the current models is pretty impressive. I admit, I hadn’t considered how much more powerful the Deck was to the Switch - I guess I knew it was more robust, but I was curious how Mortal Kombat XI would run on it and I saw a video where a guy had it jacked up to Ultra with everything on except Motion Blur and he was getting a rock solid 60fps. It was really, really impressive.

I’m honestly amazed at what a handheld PC is able to do.

Unlikely, Lawrence Yang just said on a podcast with Skillup that they are leaning more towards less often, but more meaningful upgrades. Not that anything is set in stone.

My guess would be SD2 for early 2025.