All-Purpose Writing Thread!

There are also major book publisher imprints that either are permanently open to slush or periodically have windows for unagented submissions. Tor, Tor UK, Harper-Voyager, and Hodderscape, for example, and no doubt others too.

The one IMO you should not submit to is Baen, however. Authors have reported “second look” hold times of up to 5 years (!!!) with multiple-year hold times being common. This is insane. That kind of wait for a likely rejection (and the second looks will almost all be rejected too) is ridiculous.

My story Innumerate has been read for podcast on Far-Fetched Fables. First time I’ve had a professional read one of my stories.

Congrats! Sounds great!

Congrats Miramon. Can’t wait to listen.

Thanks! It’s fun for me to listen to as well, brings a new dimension to even a tiny little story like that one.

Qt3ers, I ask for a favor that should only take a minute or two of your time. My novel, “Lord Bart and the Leagues of SIP and ALE,” is now entered in Amazon’s “Kindle Scout” program — and I need you to nominate it.

How does it work? The Kindle Scout page explains it best:

Kindle Scout is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It’s a place where readers help decide if a book gets published. Selected books will be published by Kindle Press.

All you need to do to nominate my book is go to this page:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2XS69DO0ZTBW2

You’ll have to be logged in to your Amazon account in order to nominate it. And if enough of you do so today, it could push the book into the “Hot and Trending” section of the Scout page. That will increase its visibility (which means more eyeballs on my book and that, in turn, could snowball into more nominations).

Please keep in mind, nominating the book does NOT obligate you to buy it. Your cost is nothing but a few minutes of your time. In fact, the great thing is that if my book is chosen, you will get a free Kindle copy of it as a thanks. If the book is not chosen, I do intend to find another publisher or self-publish.

Being chosen by Kindle Press would put the immense reach of Amazon marketing behind the book. A lot of nominations does not guarantee it would be chosen, but it apparently helps.

Thanks so much for helping out.

Will do. Sounds like an intriguing book too.

Aye, consider thyself Nominated, tyler! Best of luck :)

Thank you folks.

Seventeen books including mine started campaigns today. That’s a lot, and so a bit of bad timing for me. Despite that, I see that as I write this my campaign has now risen to “Hot and Trending”!

So I’m trending! And I’m hot!

Now don’t get overheated! I never nominated a book before. You’re the first. Cool cover, too.

Done.

Nominated! One day in and you’re already on the hot list.

I pitched in, keep us updated!

Will do, and again many thanks to you all. The campaign will end on 1/8/16 and I should have an answer by the end of January.

Thanks for making us aware of this. When you first mentioned “Steampunk baseball novel”, I know I was interested.

Vote early and vote will all your amazon accounts. Good luck!

Possibly my favorite thing I’ve written is done, out, and receiving nice reviews. After a scary late November and early December - sales took a nose dive. My new book came out before Christmas and made up for it. I’ve never done a shared world thing but was thrilled to be picked as the kick off writer for this project. The Front: Screaming Eagles has a simple tagline: Band of Brothers meets Dead Snow. The book took about 2 solid months of research, notes, scribbles, and juggling of plot lines while staying within the bounds of our shared world. Happy new year indeed.

Congrats, Crusis. But… link please!

Meanwhile my Kindle Scout campaign mentioned upthread is in its final six days. The campaign page is getting >20 views a day lately, so I’m hoping for an upswing as the campaign comes to a close.

So I again thank those who have nominated the book and shamelessly beg my others Qt3 brothers and sisters to check it out, read the excerpt, and if you like it, support it with a nomination.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2XS69DO0ZTBW2

I voted for your book when the link popped up a few weeks ago. Best of luck, the book looks awesome!

Screaming Eagles was holding at the #3 spot on Alternative History for close to 2 weeks but got booted to #4 today. I’m pretty excited to be working with authors like David Moody and my friend and stoker nominee Craig DiLouie. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series as much as I look forward to writing the 4th book.

Very cool, and you have ten solid reviews. Best of luck.

I love the title of one review: “Battle of the Bulge meets zombies!”