All Your Tweets Are Belong To Us: the 12 Tweets of Christmas

Title All Your Tweets Are Belong To Us: the 12 Tweets of Christmas
Author Clay Heaton
Posted in Features
When December 20, 2013

On the first day of Christmas, my papa gave to me, an Xbox (selflessly): After the break, 11 to go On the second day of Christmas, my sister gave to me, a gender stereotyping tweet..

Read the full article

The gift giving and feasting of Christmas time predates Christianity.

Also many of those texts could be sarcastic or have a different meaning then the one you have prescribed. For example I read the 7 year old girl one as the guy reacting to the cost of what she was asking for. Certainly Ipods aren't subject to any gender stereotypes and I dare say that neither are little girls when it comes to video games (despite what you might read).

If this is a bit about a person saying more about themselves then the people they comment on, then I will feel foolish,

"'My expectation: A Barbie Doll'" is the gender stereotype.

It's also an accurate one, so I don't see what the big deal is. Unless you're suggesting that barbies are equally popular among boys.

Riley will tell you what the big deal is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

Really though, if you assume all little girls are into Barbies and that no little boys are into Barbies you are stereotyping people by gender before you know them. A problematic practice.

I don't think anyone assumes all girls are into barbies, including the person who wrote that tweet. The guy was just saying that it's far more likely that a girl would want something like a barbie, instead of something like a game system. That's a fact, and it shouldn't make everyone here so uncomfortable. So girls tend to like barbies. So what?

The problem with social justice warriors they don't even know what they are fighting for or against.

The point is you're viewing all these tweets through a very cynical lens. I was trying to say that instead of showing any insight in to these other people you have painted a very sad picture of yourself.

Is that me or is that Twitter? People fire 140 character messages off into the public sphere, often not thinking about the footprint they're leaving. Potential employers and/or college admissions committees aren't going to spend an hour reading the last month's worth of somebody's tweets if the 10 most recent ones are overly incendiary, racist, selfish, or just plain unfriendly. Have a read of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11...

Some of the tweets above are funny, some lighthearted, some sad, some cynical. It's a small skimming off of the top of gaming related tweets that appeared during approximately a 1-hour period.

Ah, irony.

You probably are right in every assessment you made, but we will never know for sure. Why not apply that Christmas spirit they are apparently lacking and assume that they either had a momentary lapse of reason or they failed to communicate their message clearly?

As to employees etc reading their tweets: I'm not saying your reaction is unusual. If anything there is a weird hypocrisy that I'm criticizing you for being critical :P