Amazon Shipping Used Equipment As New

I continue to have nothing but good experiences with Amazon…

I bought FF XV before Christmas, it was $51 at the time and then a few weeks later it was on a deal for $35. I hadn’t opened mine so I bought it again and thought I’d return the other one. I finally got around to returning it this week and realised they don’t allow refunds on video games. Stupidity on my part. Anyway, I start a chat with them, tell the guy the game was still shrink wrapped and asked if I could return it. He refunds the original purchase and tells me to keep the game as well.

It did make me wonder the same thing as what Tortilla mentioned, whether they rate the value of individual customers and thus can make decisions like I got to buy some goodwill.

Amazon has an amazing track record for as huge a company they are. The logistics have to be insane and of course they are not perfect. That being said, I buy a ton of stuff through Amazon and have returned plenty as well and I have never had a issue with them over returns. In fact they have refunded stuff the minute it gets picked up and logged in by UPS. Ive received a few broken items and once through their Warehouse, I bought a refurbished spray gun that was clearly purchased by someone who used it for a job and then returned it. It was not cleaned and still had paint in the chamber. Clearly it hadn’t been refurbished at all. I contacted them about it and they immediately sent me a replacement spray chamber and hose and deducted an additional $30 off the sprayer price. I could have got a full refund but I figured for $30 off I could clean it myself. It works great and was about half the cost of a new one after all of the discounts.

I’ve also had nothing but pleasant and generous experiences with Amazon’s service and as a customer I’m blown away.

As a human being I’m torn. I continue to hear that working for them in corporate can be a horrible experience where people are miserable. Then there’s the warehouses which are apparently even more dehumanizing :(

I really wish that I didn’t think the generous service was essentially on the backs of a bunch of hourly wage slaves.

I’ve heard the same thing, from people online and individuals that live in the Seattle area.

Well, minimum wage has just increased in Washington to 11 dollars, and increasing to 13.50 by 2020, so I don’t think you have to worry about that too terribly.

Well, due to this thread, if ever I’m buying high value items, I’ll be videoing me cutting the tape and opening the box so I can youtube it for proof if there’s anything wrong or missing.

You ever try to live on $11/hour? That’s $21k/year assuming 40 hour weeks, and usually they’re kept below 30 hours so they aren’t considered full-time, assuming they aren’t contract or transient workers. $21k/year is peanuts even in rural areas.

The corporate employees aren’t impacted by the minimum wage, except at the lowest level-- the warehouse workers are. Those infamously poorly-treated workers are spread out through Amazon’s distribution centers. They primarily aren’t in Washington state.

Yeah it’s crazy how we’ve been trained to think that something like $11/hour is the dream for that type of worker but when you actually do the math it’s like, “how do you live with that little?”

I wonder how many people talking about wanting to go back to the “good old days” are just talking about standard of living, because the 50s is looking really good right now in that regard.

Back to our regularly scheduled program: Amazon has always been awesome to me when it comes to customer service and boxing things.

I didn’t say it was a dream, but I barely made more than that as a store manager for Gamestop. I think that’s what my assistant manager was getting. Admittedly, that was 7+ years ago. But still, it is moving up further in the next few years.

Only 10% inflation over the past 7 years. Would only be $12.10 now. Were you financially secure on $11/hour? Could you save any money? If you lost your job, could you last a couple months?

I’ve heard Amazon doesn’t support their workers very well; it sounds down right abusive even, and they don’t pay them very well. Raising the state’s minimum wage does not fix the problem so I will continue to “worry” about it “too terribly” as I generally care about other human beings, especially those who are clearly working and in not great conditions.

No I just mean people’s impressions, not your post specifically. For instance, the fast food workers demand $15/hour and people lose their shit, “Those people only deserve minimum wage!” and “They’d live like kings! EMT’s only make $12/hour where I live!”

$11/hour is crappy to live on as a single person. I can’t imagine what it would be like doing that and trying to raise a family.

Fair enough. Not trying to tell you how to think.

@stusser when I was doing hourly work at Nintendo, which was more recent and in Washington, I believe it was 9 an hour, which was better than minimum at the time (I might be off on that number). If you want to criticize minimum wage that’s fine, but then you have to be critical of every employer that pays it.

@arrendek yeah, I think it would be damned near impossible to live on your own making that kind of money, but probably doable with a roommate or two. Interestingly, the minimum wage in the city of Seattle is 15 dollars as of the first of this year, iirc. But it’s very expensive to live in the immediate area, so that probably helps with transportation costs.

12 dollars an hour would be a challenge to live on here, and our COLA is a lot lower than the Seattle area. These also aren’t employees working at Fast Food chains. I realize part of this group is in the warehouses where the conditions have been so poor they’ve made the news although maybe not as bad as IKEA <?>, but I am referring to corporate myself. Those are not minimum wage jobs.

I absolutely am. People should be paid a living wage. This thread happened to be about Amazon, that’s all.

Some corporate employees are likely to be positively impacted by a minimum wage increase, while there could also be some cutbacks.

Per the CBO in 2014:

The increased earnings for low-wage workers resulting from the higher
minimum wage would total $9 billion; 22 percent of that sum would accrue
to families with income below the poverty threshold, whereas 33 percent
would accrue to families earning more than three times the poverty
threshold, CBO estimates.

I said, except at the lowest level. Most people working in a corporate office aren’t making minimum wage. Or paid hourly, for that matter unless they’re CSRs, service desk, etc.

So I ordered this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EN1DTU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it is advertised (at least in the answered questions) as a genuine Apple product. I received a cord in a beaten up plastic bag that has a paper tag attached that identifies it as an Apple extension cord. The irony is that is says “new” on the tag. Smudges were on the side of the cord connector. Clearly a used product. At $7.99, I am not going to return because I need a new cord and this will work. But Amazon clearly sent a used product.

That doesn’t look like it’s ever been sold by Amazon, just fulfilled. The counterfeit problem on Amazon though seems really bad.

No they didnt. This is sold by another company not Amazon. Also did you read the reviews? Because there are several that mention being sent used cables and generic instead of authentic.
If you are aware of how Amazon does business you know that many products do not come directly from Amazon. Ive always known that if I choose to order a product from a company that is not Amazon, I am rolling the dice to save a buck or two. I generally stick to Amazon fronted products unless the deal is exceptionally good. If you are really upset contact Amazon and let them know that the company is misrepresenting their product.