AMC's Into the Badlands - Motorcycle Ninja takes on Feudal Barons in the West

Just watching the first few episodes of this and really enjoying it, seems well filmed, enjoying the stunts and action and the setting etc. Shame there is only 6 episodes so far.

The setting is great, and it’s getting better, but it really defies belief that people wouldn’t re-develop projectile technology. Also, they effectively have castles, but no catapults/siege weaponry. But they do have working motor vehicles, which means they have gasoline.

Just kinda weird the leaps in logic you have to accept.

The problem with projectiles is Kung Fu doesn’t really work when you can just get shot. I wouldn’t mind dropping the cars and Bikes and stick with Horses in a modern take. However the driver for the show atm is Oil owned by the Widow and no vehicles screws that as well.

I like it so far, especially for the settings (great New Orleans area filming locations!) and the mystery of what’s out there beyond the barons’ territories. But the background story needs fleshing out something awful. Like the barons themselves. It seems like each one controls a resource. So far the Widow controls the oil fields, so presumably provided fuel for cars, trucks, etc. and for heating and electricity, the other Baron we’ve seen controls the gold mines, and thus mints all the currency (and is rich enough to simply buy everything he needs), and our Baron controls the poppy harvest, which means I guess people in the post-apocalypse really like to get high a lot. There is also a “River King” who controls all trade and movement up and down the river, but he seems to be more pirate than Baron. Unanswered are questions like “where does all the food come from?”, “who mines all the steel to make all these shiny weapons laying around everywhere?” and “who the hell knows how to maintain cars, trucks and motorcycles hundreds of years after the apocalypse?”. Not to mention the big question of exactly why nobody thinks there is anything outside of the Barons’ territories and what exactly is preventing people from leaving said territories?

I doubt we get answers in the one episode that is left, but if they do renew the show they’re going to need to touch on some of these subjects before too long.

I like it. The setting is great, the characters range from decent to great, awesome fight scenes (even though I think they focus a bit too much on them, but I’m not really a Kung-Fu movies person), great show.

The no guns “issue”, I don’t really see the problem. It’s a feudal society, wars are apparently all fairly small scale, most people can’t read, really, the only knowledge that’s going to stay around is the knowledge the Barons allow. And guns would be too much of an equalizer, the Barons grip on power is largely dependent on being able to Kung-Fu people to death, and some lowly peasant with a gun being able to wreck all that training simply will not do.

The show is pretty enjoyable, just can’t stand almost every scene the kid is in. I can’t believe they couldn’t find a better actor play such a critical role. He sounds like he’s overacting in a high school play or something compared to the rest of the cast.

Perhaps a reject from one of the numerous YA books-turned-movies. MK is likewise my least favorite character, but I put up with him for the sake of the show.

Just watched the last episode last night. Has it been renewed for a second season?

Binge watched the 6 episodes over the holiday break. Not sure how I feel about it. My first thing was “why do mortal enemies build their castles half a mile away from each other?” The show does a lot of just really bad things. Despite that, I still enjoyed watching it.

If it doesn’t get renewed, it may be one of the biggest downer endings for a show that you could have. Which, I think, makes it a brilliant ending.

The second season premiere was tonight, everyone. That sure looked like ol’ Jeremy Davies as the guy running the mining operation but he’s not credited among the guest stars.
It turns out that it’s some guy named Stephen Walters.

Does this show have good, satisfying ending? I know it was cancelled after season 3. I just watched the pilot and quite liked it, action scenes are fun and there is some potential story-wise.

It has an ending, but I didn’t find it too satisfying; I got the impression they tried to jam too much into it.

They left it completely open for another season.

The story goes off the rails, it’s like a comic book where different characters and faction motivations keep getting rearranged so the show can feature different conflicts. The action remains good though.

Ok, so I finished season 2…Nick Frost was great. Quinn’s storyline with him playing house with Veil was terrible. In general the show has its moments, but I am not super enthused to watch 16 more episodes.

That is the sad truth of Into The Badlands. There was total awesomeness, sandwiched between slabs of crap. It made it tough to enjoy the awesomeness because you had that lingering crap taste to deal with.

Somebody just needs to make an “all-fighting” cut of the show. Just cut out the plot, which never made much sense anyway.

Well, I actually ended up enjoying S3 significantly more than first two in every way. And if not for the “ancient evil about to rise: gun” scene, the finale would have served as a pretty good series finale. I really liked quite a few of the characters - Sunny and Bajie obvs, but Nix and Castor (Tommen from GoT right?) were good, Pilgrim was good antagonist, I loved Nathaniel Moon and Tilda…
The combat choreography was really insane and spectacularly impressive quite often. Good show.

I really did like a lot of the show and many characters. However, I think the weakest part was M.K. through every season. I don’t know if it was the writing, the actor, or what but he just never came across as someone I wanted to root for even though I know I was supposed to. Given his integral part to the story and its inability to gain enough traction for another season, I wonder if I’m not alone in that.

M.K. definitely was a weak point. Too weak an actor for how important his role was.