AMD board RAM settings?

I recently got a new PC from NZXT with a Ryzen 7800X3D CPU and DDR5 RAM supposedly able to run at 6000 MHz. But when I look at my current AI Overclock Tuner settings in the UEFI BIOS it’s not running at that frequency but at 4800 I think.

I have a number of alternatives to choose from in that menu:

EXPO 1, EXPO 2, DOCP 1, DOCP 2 and AEMP

Which is the equivalent of turning on XMP on an Intel motherboard?

Try this?

Nice!

Who knows, may be worth a shot! ;-)

All of those are variations on XMP apparently.

Yeah; with an AMD system, I’d go EXPO 2 unless you have any stability issues, in which case I’d go EXPO 1.

I recently put together a new system with a 7800X3 and a TUF Gaming X670E motherboard. To my dismay, I found out that there were some rather serious problems with enabling EXPO. If you do enable it, make sure that you are running the latest available BIOS for your board with adjusted voltages, see here:

I also noticed that boot times can be incredibly long with DDR5 ram. You may have to fiddle with ‘memory context restore’ and related settings, which, unfortunately, come with quite a few quirks of their own…

I ultimately became frustrated enough to not bother with EXPO for the time being!

You definitely want to run your RAM at its listed settings. You paid for that speed.

This has been resolved for long enough that any motherboard purchased in 2024 shouldn’t have any problems. That said, it’s always good to double check, and BIOS updates usually still help with stability issues.

I thought that whole “Ryzen CPUs getting fried by ASUS motherboards” was over now, right? I did notice that the boot time after the change was surprisingly long (I set it to Expo 1 because it was at 6000 MHz and seemed to have all the same settings and voltages as Expo 2 but I’ve probably missed something).

I always use EXPO 1, which typically provides the advertised speeds.

That article was linked back to April of 2023; yeah, any new BIOS will have it fixed