AMD Ryzen discussion

If only their GPUs were competitive!

Game performance is mostly limited by single thread speed and the new Ryzen is 1% faster than Intel which is negligible but eliminates the last gap or best reason to consider Intel. Furthermore, the power draw looks to be a step ahead of Intel-equivalent CPUs, a significant benefit.

In my view, the Ryzen 5 3600 at 65 watts for smaller form factor systems at $200, and the 3600X with overclocking headroom at $249 for larger systems, are the new sweet spot CPUs for the mass market. Count me in.

Is it obvious how these TDPs relate to boost clocks? I think l remember Intel TDPs refer to the unboosted frequencies.

I picked up a Ryzen 2700 for $299 CAD with The Division 2 and World War Z. I already own WWZ on the Epic Store. Does anyone who’s redeemed these AMD offers know if I can associate a friend’s Epic or UPlay account so they go there if I want to?

I got two copies of Division 2 with my last system and I was able to redeem both to my AMD account and then signed into Uplay with my account then i did the other and logged into Uplay with his account.

I did do each one at a time, so I added one D2 to my AMD then did the log into Uplay to “claim” it. I then signed out of the AMD site and logged back in fresh to do the second one just so nothing was cached. I’m sure I was over thinking it but that’s the way I roll.

This the build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/teletrong1/saved/#view=vKdb8d

Would you put games or OS on an M.2 slot drive that shares PCIe bandwidth with the PCIe 16x GPU slot dropping it to 8x when in use?

Nevermind. Brainfart. 8x is still more than enough for GPU since I remember SLI divvying it up.

Got 2TB NVME M.2 SSD for no drive cage obstruction of airflow and because upgrading or replacing it at its location on the underside of motherboard would be royal PITA.

I assume you went with the intel 660p. I was thinking about it, and I’m sure it’ll be fine, but I’m just not comfortable going with QLC yet.

Yes I did. The endurance is questionable but I’m working on my OCD to not kill the TDW within the first month.

The pricepoints for all other NVMe drives weren’t worth it. If Crucial had a similarly priced P1 2TB I’d have considered it but they only have 1TB. Why? Did I choose poorly?

Not at all, for the price it’s a good product. Just don’t expect it to be any faster than a SATA SSD. I’m sure the QLC will be fine, it has 400 TB endurance and if you do the numbers that’s like 100 GB of writes per day for 10 years.

PSU modular cables obstruct GPU so I had to get the SFX SF600 Corsair PSU and now have to wait for the SFX to ATX mounting bracket to next day Amazon to me.

Correct solution is to drill some small holes in the GPU to feed the cables through.

Ok I’ll give that a try

Fucking mobo and power led connectors I don’t know if plus or minus is white or black wire and which orientation they go after building PCs for 25 years

Look for the tiny tiny triangle at the end of the plug. That’s pin 1. The motherboard should have a matching symbol, also really small.

Back around 2010 I thought I read somewhere mobo mfr were trying to standardize on these connectors being in an industry standard block. Guess that failed.