AMD Ryzen discussion

I drilled holes in the Geforce to pass through the ATX power supply cables and my computer won’t POST now.

Also changed RAM to 3200 MHz.

Try blowing on it and putting it back in.

You want to make sure you have a prime number of holes.

I used a value of Pi.

How does one drill .14 holes?

By making them circular.

That’s what I’ve been doing wrong all this time, my drill bits are I shaped.

Even with 3000 series coming up in July sometime, I’m quite happy with the R7 2700 I built last weekend. Since multitasking is so smooth, I now wish I had gotten 32GB instead of 16GB RAM.

Updated build: changed to a Noctua cooler and load temps are 20C cooler. The “free” pack-in Wraith is no slouch for quietness and cooling but the Noctua is insane.

Love my noctua cooler on my current rig.

3 random questions:

Is Precisiom Boost 2 (PB2) the same boost as the speeds specs listed for a chip (3.2GHz/4GHz for my Ryzen 7 2700 for example) or some other diff form of OC?

Is there any drawback or advantage to running it 24/7 at boost speed (enabled in UEFI vs auto) or leaving it Auto?

My RAM is a 3200MHz kit. I think it runs at 2666 MHz if I leave it on Auto. Should I override that and just set it to 3200?

Gonna use more power and run warmer at constant boost speed.

My RAM is a 3200MHz kit. I think it runs at 2666 MHz if I leave it on Auto. Should I override that and just set it to 3200?

Does the mobo support 3200mhz? I would assume so, so just set it manually. Strange it didn’t see it when set to Auto.

Yeah, definitely set it to 3200mhz if that’s stable. You might just need to tell it to use the XMP profile in the bios.

Literally just found out where XMP was buried in UEFI. XMP is an Intel only brand so it was renamed DOCP by ASUS for AMD. Got 1-5% increase in synthetic and game performance with less heat than the 5-10% OC I could get from GPU overclocking.

Any of you guys buying a new system next week?

I am thinking of doing the following:

• Ryzen 3700x (upgrade of my i7 4770)
  • 32gb 3200 DDR4 RAM
  • ASRock X570M Pro4
  • Some new PCIe v4 M2 SSD drive, probably 1TB in storage
  • Carry over my existing 1080 video card, monitor, case, etc.

The motherboard choice is due to the fact that my case is mATX, and this is the only mATX board in the new X570 range that I can see. It’s on the budget ends of things (well, budget relative to the others in the new high-end mobo chipset), but I figure because I don’t overclock my CPU it shouldn’t matter so much. The USB 3.2 ports and PCIe v4 seems worthwhile for future proofing.

Anyway, I am very excited to see the reviews!

I’m happy with my 2700 breadbox I just bought two weeks ago. Wait a little for more mATX choices to appear? PCIe v4 NVMe is way too expensive ATM. I say wait and get some current NVMe M.2. Now I need to save up money to replace the PSU+SATA cables with CableMod ones and the case fans with Noctua.

I’m thinking about it. Asus m-itx board with the 3950X. And their new GPU (probably the anniversary model).

I’m definitely building in the next couple months, likely a Ryzen 5 3600 and will look closely at the new GPUs as well. I’m mostly excited because AMD is pushing the industry forward and I want to get it on it. Plus I’m still sitting on Assassin’s Creed as I need a more powerful CPU to play it.

If you want to make a bit of an effort, a German leak is linked here…

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-ryzen-9-3900x-review-with-benchmarks-leaks-out.html

And real reviews are in. AMD on the ryze :)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar