American Horror Story: 1984 - Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, etc

When was the last good season?

Umm season 5, AHS:Hotel turned out to be pretty decent, even if it was a bit weird pushing GAGA to be a tv star.

S6 - Roanoak was horrible.
S7 - Cult was interesting at first and then mid-to-end turned out horrible.

I never saw season 8, but heard lots of positive comments. It’s still on my DVR.

I thought Season 8 was a lot of fun once you get past the first few, rather slow, episodes.

I thought Cult was one of the best seasons.

Every season has someone going on about what terrible television it is, but so far I’m not sure there’s yet been a really been a bad season yet. Admittedly, I’ve only watched up to Season 6 so maybe 7 and 8 really blow it, but I’ve liked every one I’ve seen for different reasons. Asylum is still the best, but they’re all silly fun and OTT in their own special way.

I mostly agree but Season 6 was just terrible. It had some interesting performances but in general I thought it was an inchoate, unpleasant mess.

Yeah, but that’s my point. Everyone has that one season that’s just the worst, and they seem to be all over the place. Some people hate Freak Show, some people love it (I liked it a lot). Some people think Coven is the worst season, it’s my second favorite (despite all the resurrections).

AHS is like a televisual Rorschach test.

I liked all seasons I watched so far (didn’t watch 8 yet). Though I do find the first season to be the most boring.

Almost all seasons have the problem where they just drop the ball near the end, though. I think season 7 exemplifies that perfectly, with a villain that for the first half of the season seems to be incredibly perceptive, charismatic, always a step ahead, … and then at some point he just turns into a complete comedic-evil moron without any real reason.
It’s still my favourite season, together with Freak Show, because it’s just so fascinating to watch and genuinely different.

I went back last year and finally watched season 1, I felt it was one of the best seasons. :)

In fact I shall rank them!

BEST… 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 7 > 6 …WORST

Haven’t watched season 8 yet. :)

Nothing says 1980s like a bunch of drone shots!

-Tom

I watched the first two episodes. It’s corny as hell, and the acting isn’t that good. However, I also think in their homage to 80s slasher films, the acting may not be good on purpose.

Obviously, it’s gory as all get out.

Gonna DVR the season and then later just binge it over a weekend.

I haven’t really seriously watched since season 2 (though I did follow season 5 for a couple episodes before getting distracted), but it’s October and all and so I figured a new season of AHS seemed like the ticket. My girlfriend and I watched the first two episodes just now. The crazy is already ramping up. I, uh, was not expecting the direction they’re going with actual serial killer Richard Ramirez . Or the ghost? time loop dude? what?. So yeah, classic AHS for you. And while I’m not a huge aficionado of the slasher flicks they’re emulating, I’ve seen enough to get the tropes they’re referencing.

This season is the dumbest yet. My wife makes us watch these every year and the only good ones were in the first 3 or 4 seasons…I just cant tell you how stupid this new one is.

Welp, this season was super ridiculous - a total hot mess. I rather enjoyed it.