American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

They should add a community event where we can partake in assignments to haul dirt or deliver construction equipment to and from the landslide. The more truckers who participate, the quicker the road re-opens.

I didn’t know I wanted it until now, but this is totally the type of game that could stand to have some events and community goals. Haul a million tons of ice to LA to get an Eskimo bobblehead, or drive the amount of the earth’s circumference to get a space paint job. Something to break up the (admittedly relaxing) monotony of delivery.

World of Trucks kind of does that.

New Mexico:

Someone should make a post-apocalyptic mod for this game. Some of those scenes reminded me of New Vegas.

I like that idea, @YakAttack!

I can’t believe they’re only releasing one or two states a year. Can’t they get the mod community to help them crank these out? I saw a streamer (squirrel) driving in Mexico and it looked fantastic (other than a few misplaced textures here and there).

It’s kind of ridiculous, but to be fair they are also cranking out map content for ETS 2 at the same time. Still very frustrating. I basically alternate between ATS, ETS and Elite for my trucking fix as they release new content.

9 November for New Mexico.

I’m sorry but 2 states released in 8 months (and Arizona was being created before release).

Also, the price of New Mexico alone is $12.

All told, we we all be dead before the 48 contiguous states are finished, and they will cost us over $500.

Not a big fan of this schedule or pricing.

Yeah the pricing policy is weird. Makes one feel they are charging for their own delays, whatever might be their causes.

I haven’t yet played ATS. At all. Because I haven’t bought it. Because I’ve been waiting for them to finish it first.

However, I do own and have played ETS2.
Is ATS that much more detailed than ETS2, for instance?

If it is indeed leaps and bounds more detailed than ETS2, I’ll have to jump in soon, I guess. I always just assumed that the tech and detail level was going to be similar to their Euro games though, and that’s why I haven’t bothered with it.

I’ve always been a fan of whatever that engine is they’re using. For instance, IIRC, when ETS2 came out, the download was just a few hundred megs, and yet it looked great. Is ATS any different?

I think they’re pretty similar, really.

To me, while the game are absolutely similar, the yielded experience is very different. The part I enjoy, that relaxing groove of ETS2, is much more accentuated in ATS, because of those large, wide roads. It makes Europe feel much more cramped. Personally, I can’t come back to ETS2.

Each new location is enormous and must take a huge amount of work. I can understand why it’s pricey.

It’s leaps and bounds ahead of where ETS2 started, while still very much the same engine, but it’s not materially more detailed than the post-Scandinavia expansions to ETS2. And the management side is basically unchanged.

That said, I’ve been very impressed with New Mexico so far.There’s a lot less re-use of assets than before, so the road layouts, junctions and destinations all feel unique. The street furniture feels more varied too, though I may be imagining that.

Please explain what this means, because it’s a term I want to use!

-Tom

Well, technically it means things like bins and benches and lamps and so on, but I was also using it to mean other roadside assets like non-usable rest areas — not landmarks as such, but things that add variety to the landscape. Both actual street furniture and the landscape stuff seems more varied in NM than the other states.

Like the red telephone box found in Krispycakes Murders, on this week’s ReqWed.

Oh, so literally furniture along a street. Meh. I was hoping it was, like, a dismissive reference to slow moving traffic.

-Tom