American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

hadn’t seen this one before but it’s exactly what i never knew i always wanted. thanks!

When I played ATS in VR, I was able to stick my head out the window as I was backing up, and see which way the trailer was moving as I turned the steering wheel. Really helped with learning how to park. Too bad VR performance is so terrible. My eyes couldn’t take it anymore after ten minutes.

You can also look out the window with stick look

Is there a good mod to extend the incredibly short entrance ramps? 70% of the time no one is there anyway, so I can just pull over at the top of the ramp onto the highway. The other times it’s me driving on the shoulder to avoid an accident.

Not that I’m aware of; that would require a fairly major overall of the entire map I would think.

When there’s traffic, I end up just being like the AI. Sit at the top with signal on and wait for enough time and space to merge. Occasionally the AI will even stop and let you on.

I usually just drive on the shoulder if I have to. Slowing down is for suckers.

Good to know, thanks!

Interesting on the speeding cameras…

I feel like in ETS2 I immediately get a ticket if I go 10kph over the limit and I am not slowing down at the time. I’m going to keep an eye out for cameras next time I play.

New truck!

Far out! I work for Daimler Trucks North America (in service documentation), and that’s our newest vehicle – vocational class.

For some reason, I am interested in this. What are the main differences between ATS and ETS2? Just location and truck selection, or are there game play differences as well? Maybe I will download the demos and see if they grab me.

There are a handful of gameplay differences, but it’s pretty minor. Unless trailer ownership never made it into ETS2. I can’t recall, but I’m pretty sure it did.

Yeah, the primary differences are the location and truck selection. At its core the moment to moment gameplay isn’t that different between ETS2 and ATS. However, you might experience some small differences in gameplay challenges due to said differences in location, trucks and trailers. For example, if I remember correctly, Nevada and Oregon states allow for some proper road train-type action (triple trailer hauls).

Both are pretty similar, but they have a different feel. If you’re looking for variety, ETS2 is the best choice. ATS feels more “real” in a sense, though. Not sure why; it might have something to do with the way they make small towns more noticeable, or the way roads are laid out with settlements and truck stops and whatnot. Both are great, but they feel different for some reason. I enjoy both of them.

Gameplay-wise, there are no huge differences at this point. Some of the new stuff in ATS have been backported to ETS2, so they’re pretty similar these days. ATS is graphically a bit better, but ETS2 had some updates to improve on that regard as well.

I’ve heard people say the US roads are wider, and from what I’ve seen that seems true.

I’ve played a lot of ETS2 but have been saving ATS for a fresh experience when I get tired of Europe.

They use the same engine now, but it seems ATS typically gets the new things slightly sooner.

When they release ATS they made some significant improvements to how they put together the maps and they’ve been slowly re-working areas of ETS2 to bring them up to the same standard.

There’s more “stuff variety” (scenery, trucks, etc.) in ETS2, but currently ATS is a little more - I guess you could say - “sophisticated”. Plus I’m pretty sure you can’t haul triples anywhere in ETS2…

I play both, switching between them is usually triggered by them running an event. Need my in-cab decorations! :-)

Colorado out today!

I’ve been playing this way too much.

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for this. Not only for Colorado, but also because it should now be easier to reach certain parts of New Mexico.

I’ve been getting back into this after losing my old save file and I’m still loving it. I also noticed the cops in California seem pretty lenient.

I ended up buying Oregon during the recent sale as well and it is beautiful.

Colorado is really pretty too.

Oregon is my favorite so far. I’ve done some deliveries in Colorado but I haven’t seen everything so the jury is still out on that one. ;)