America's healthcare insanity

Microsoft used to offer no-cost (to the employee) healthcare when I worked there in the early 2000s.

Great article on what would be quite a win for getting us closer to a single payer option and also making healthcare a lot more sane in the US.

These are good moves and haven’t really been reported. Thanks for the link.

This is promising.

This is the kind of shit that Dems need to be touting. It shouldn’t be little noticed.

They will, now. They seemed to be letting other components of the relief bill act like a lightning rod to sort of keep this all on the downlow, because improving healthcare is a proven winner for both the country as a policy, but also politically for Democrats specifically.

It sure does seem like a nice political cudgel to use in 2022, right? Every Republican who voted against the relief bill can be hit with it.

Can I get a pre-authorization to send “FUCK YOU” to the insurance company?

I’ll allow it.

Are you sure you want to piss off your health insurance company?

Hey guys, I feel like maybe the insurance bureaucrats are the guys we should have making our medical decisions, not the guys who are actually trained in medicine.

I feel that health insurance companies should be required to also provide life insurance as part of their policies/plans. How about giving them some motivation to actually keep people alive?

How about we destroy the health insurance companies root and branch like we would any other invasive species? They’re nothing but a for-profit tick on the back of all of us.

Hear, hear.

For some reason I always have Maggie Smith declaiming, “Rrrrroot and branch!” when I come across the idiom. I do not fight this, as it is nothing but an improvement to any situation.

That used to be the case but it was usually just $10-$15k worth of life insurance. That went away maybe 10 years ago. They should have increased it to $100-$150k and they would have maybe had an reason to keep people alive.

Effective Jan 2022, they snuck in some provision to limit those sneaky high bills. It’s not all good news, that’s the American Hospital Association and THEY are pleased so there’s something up…

There’s a few issues but this may be nice.

Note that the No Surprises Act defers to existing state laws with respect to state-established payment amounts and dispute resolution procedures for state-regulated health plans. Therefore, if a state law already sets a payment amount for a surprise medical bill dispute, the state’s payment mechanism would continue to govern disputes between insurers and out-of-network providers in that state for the fully insured plans they are able to regulate.

It’s a 372 page PDF so I’m not gonna read it.

This makes me SOOOOO ANGRY. If we got rid of health insurance companies and their profit stockholder bullshit and nationalized into one system, we’d save so much money we’d be swimming in it. But instead, people who are dying are left begging to get their PAID health insurance to cover them.