Android performance in 2016 is (less) embarrassingly awful

Supposedly the curved edges on the S8 are much less sharp and more rounded than previous phones. Even people that disliked “edge” phones before love the S8. Assuming it doesn’t explode, it really is a slam-dunk for Samsung.

Too bad they insist on shitting the things up with their crapware.

Well, that’s great, but I’m never going to notice because I need to put a case on this thing just to have something to grip so I don’t accidentally press the screen edge.

They supposedly addressed that in software with edge rejection.

Yeah, I had an S7 Edge for about three days and did not like the feel of a Spigen case with the edge screen. The S8 edge screen looked like an edge screen to me, so maybe I didn’t notice some sort of small refinement in edge curve slope. With that being said, it does look like a nice piece of hardware (the S8+). The S8 looked too narrow to me width-wise.

My OP3 is still responsive as hell with 800 apps installed.

Well, good news, the Snapdragon 835 does a bit better in the app launch test vs. the iPhone 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pFpv0Im1UY (Snapdragon 820, Galaxy 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_PK_6F_Bhk (Snapdragon 835, Galaxy 8)

At least it is not a complete ass whipping any more.

Not unless you consider the intangibles, like how much more awesome using Android over iOS is and then yeah, it becomes an ass whipping.

STOP ARGUING AND BOW BEFORE THE ONE TRUE GOD OF FACTUAL DATA

#fuckdiscourse

slowly using Android over iOS, you mean.

At least the gap is closing a fair bit with the 835… from 195 seconds to 144 seconds vs 101 seconds. That is, from 2x slower, to “only” 1.5x slower.

Since Android has exactly zero new hardware on the horizon for 2017 to be any faster, it’ll be quite interesting to see how much faster A11 (iPhone 8, iPhone 7s) is. If past history is any indication, expect 20-50% perf increase.

My wife just got an S8 - I still have my trusty old LG G3. The S8 is like using a Alexa Firestick remote - not only is it too thin, the rounded edges make it seem even thinner (and I really dislike how the graphics seem to ‘fall off’ the edge). While the screen itself is beautiful, it is hard to believe it is a 5.7" screen. It has hardened my resolve even more to keep my G3 going till it goes up in flames. Not a fan of the S8. (I think what I really want is a OnePlus 5, but of course Verizon won’t support them…arglebargle.) Maybe the S8+ is better, but those fall-off edges… maybe the LG G6 will be the next upgrade despite it not topping the S8 spec-wise.

I switched from a Pixel XL to a S8+. It is only slightly taller than the Pixel.It’s much narrower than the iPhone 7+ and I really like the shape. The rounded edges aren’t too bad on the S8+. I looked at an LG G6 and the S8+ at the same time and really likes the S8+ form factor a lot more. No way would I purchase a S8.

Since @wumpus noted that turning off the all caps warning is an option and that it’s just not set on Qt3, I think you need to modify your hashtag to #fuckqt3admins

Pretty sure @stusser enabled the setting so

#yayqt3admins

\#yayqt3admins

HASHBROWNDUCKFISCOURSE

[Edit: no warning, so @ArmandoPenblade can chill out. Or, more accurately, the opposite. Let the screaming begin!]

While you’re not wrong, @Ephraim, I think my original battle cry rolls off the tongue more easily!

Or maybe I just really, really wanna shag this sweet forum software…

ALSO:

THIS IS NOW THE AGE OF ARMANDO THE BARBARIAN. ALL SHALL KNOW THE FURY OF MY HEART BY THE SIZE OF MY LETTERS!

Very subtle teaching me the escape character there. Don’t think I didn’t notice!

WHY ARE WE YELLING