Android performance in 2016 is (less) embarrassingly awful

I have one but it almost triples the weight, as I have said before, if Samsung made a phone double the thickness but with a much larger battery then I would bite their hand off. Don’t need any gimmicks like a bezel less phone, i just need one that gets me though the day as a heavy user.

Dude, no phone is anywhere close to as fast as my laptop, in the tasks which actually take time. The iPhone can’t run eclipse and compile code. It can’t run the training simulations I build. It can’t can’t run hundreds of intelligent agents simultaneously.

So it can’t be my laptop for those things. It needs to be a smartphone.

And the 6p does smart phone shit perfectly fast.

I mean, come on dude. You can understand this, right?

That’s odd @chappers. I get literally days of battery life on the iPhone 7 plus, but I religiously turn off all notifications (other than SMS) and all background polling. Plus I disable all voice assistants just on principle.

I find going to the battery tab in settings and seeing what is pulling battery in the last 24 hours / week is a great way to find (and kill) anything that’s draining the battery.

I charge my iPhone 7 maybe once every 3 days?

If you ever use the web on your phone, like I do, then you’d also want ultrabook level performance. I pretty much use the web 24/7 on every device I own.

If you only run, say, the Facebook app, then it may be less urgent.

Simple, screen on is what kills it.

Can you share a screenshot of battery app usage from your device, please?

That’s the thing man… Browsing the web is pretty much the least processor intensive thing I do.

At no point, ever, when I’m browsing the web, am I like, “man, the browser is loading this too slow”

I had one video call with my parents, hence Facebook messenger, the rest is surfing.

Well, my data disagrees with your opinions… though your opinions are really fascinating, and all…

In my experience, if things are loading slowly it’s usually because the internet signal is bad. Especially since I can’t get 4G to work and 3G is not up to the full web spectrum anymore.

Exactly. It never loads slowly because the browser is taking to long to handle it.

Which isn’t too say it couldn’t be better. From wumpus’ perspective, I totally understand why he wants more processing power. Because it would potentially enable him to do more shit, and still have it load fast.

But as it stands, web pages load perfectly fast.

One thing you might try is permanently being on battery saver mode, since this throttles the CPU and also turns off all background fetches. And since you don’t care about CPU speed, this will definitely enhance battery life at the cost of overall sluggishness. Worth a shot.

(I religiously have background fetch and notifications disabled on every single app, so battery saver only really throttles the CPU for me.)

It’s not the loading that is the issue, but the processing of the JS that increasingly makes up the modern web… and will make up more and more of it in the next 5-10 years.

I’m sorry, I meant from the perspective of my PC usage, not my phone.

Regarding the battery usage for my phone:

Looks like the cost of the iPhone’s fast CPU is sucking up so much battery that you have to obsessively disable base functionality and manually task-kill like it’s 2010 or something.

Ha ha.

I did that even on the earliest smartphones I used back in 2010. I just don’t care that much about background pull. Same reason some people run adblockers, to improve battery life, and it’s a legit reason…

Yes… that’s the joke.

I also did it when I used Android devices, to maximize battery life. Like I said, I don’t care about knowing the second every single email arrives, or if some app wants to tell me about a promotion they are running… I like very minimal notifications, and I like to pull data when I am ready to see it. The side benefit is more battery life on every device I touch.

I also do this on Windows. Anything that autoruns at startup… I kill with extreme prejudice.

Only exception is SMS or SMS-alike stuff (but I only really use SMS not whatsapp etc) … I guess I use the “native” notification app on the platform.

You’re right, I’m sure the camera hard/firm/software have nothing to do with it, and it’s all on the CPU.

Come on, dude. I realize you’re mostly just trolling, but at least troll a little closer to Amber than the Courts of Chaos.

This doesn’t mean that your browser is CPU intensive. If you are using Safari a lot, it might simply reflect the power used by your display.