Android - what's in your pocket?

Thanks for the link to the J7, not sure how I missed it on the site. And thats my plan, wait for the Moto G4 info and then pick the best. I was wondering about the Stylo 2 as it didn’t seem that updated, but they said its new so I figured there was something I was missing.

You can get a budget device by carefully piecing together lesser versions of modern tech, watching the R&D budget closely and making painful sacrifices when needed. . . or by grabbing the leftover guts from 2-year-old phones ;)

(The Stylo 2’s not that bad, to be fair, I’m just being meanspirited to the poor little guy)

lordkosc, I know you wanted to stay with Virgin Mobile, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t take the opportunity to pimp Project Fi. I moved my wife from Virgin Mobile to Project Fi earlier this year, and it’s been a wonderful experience. We’re saving a few bucks each month, the network coverage is improved, and running vanilla Android is a huge improvement over the VM ROMs.

They were running a deal where the Nexus 5X was about $200 – and it appears that’s still the case. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Intersting Aleck! I never heard of this new plan, and it might be exactly what I am looking for, going to do some research on it today. I wonder if I can carry over my phone number, I’ve had the same number for 10+ years.

In the US, you’re supposed to be allowed to port your number pretty freely. It can day a day or two to kick in, but they pretty much gotta let you have it unless you owe 'em money or something.

Google Fi is pretty awesome, especially if you tend to have very low data usage. I hadn’t realized the 5X was so cheap!

I can’t not pimp Ting in these threads. Monthly bill for the wife and I is usually $45.

Ting also looks interesting, but I am going with that Project Fi , good coverage in my area and the Nexus 5 on sale has sealed the deal for me. I don’t use alot of data so my bill might actually be cheaper than it is now.

This is where I do my evil laugh, rub my hands together, and welcome you into the Evil Google Empire, right? :)

If you’re in the states, porting your number is easy peasy and Google does all the work. It’s crazy easy. Once you get the phone, you call them up, and everything is working anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours later.

$200 for an N5X is a crazy good price. I love mine.

Man, the Google Fi refund on unused data is awesome. The Boost PAYG deal I’m on isn’t a bad one—$30.00/month for talk, text, and 2gb of data—but I rarely go near the cap.

My “test the Android waters” Moto E is still serviceable, but it’s pokey as hell, and the Nexus 5X would be a decent upgrade.

Gah, yes, the Moto E is basically a potato compared to the N5X.

I just ordered a Moto X Play from Amazon. I got tired of the terrible Nexus 5 battery (although it is almost 3 years old, to be fair). Because the Moto X Play is 9 months old now, I don’t know whether I’ll be getting something with a battery that’s been sitting around for 9 months or whether it was produced more recently. Regardless, I’m looking forward to having a better battery life than the Nexus 5.

Any suggestion for a phone case for the Google Fi, Nexus 5x? :)

Amazon has like a million to choose from. :|

This seems to be a popular one, I might go with this…

I’m joining the Google Fi crowd, as my Nexus 4 continues to grow less and less reliable. (About half the time, some issue with the audio routing means that I don’t get any audio for calls, which rather limits its usefulness as a phone.) Had to move my GV number to my alternate Google account so I could keep it, but that’s fine.

Anyway, I’m in for a 5X and Fi, as much as I like T-Mobile. We’ll see how it goes!

Without knowing what type of case you’re looking for, this is the one I have: Amazon.com

I’m fairly gentle with my phone so all I needed was light protection that didn’t add much bulk and this one fit the bill. My only complaint is that the power button is sensitive, so when I squeeze my phone into a small pocket it will hold down the power button and reboot sometimes. You could probably carve out the plastic covering on that button if it was a big enough issue.

Welcome! I’m a recent Virgin Mobile convert as well and Project Fi has been great. It was awesome seeing the $7 credit on my second bill from the refunded unused data. My only disappointment so far was finding out the beach house in my wife’s family that had no Sprint coverage also has no T-Mobile coverage.

As far as cases, I never used one on any phone before so take me recommendation with a grain of salt, but I went with this one by Diztronic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176S4DMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=qt3-20

I feel like it might have been recommended somewhere. It’s probably not going to offer a ton of protection, but I like that the surface is easier to grip than the phone itself. You’ll may also want to consider picking up a USB->USB-C cable. The phone comes with a fairly short USB-C->USB-C cable with it’s charger, but none of my computers have USB-C yet and my car charger is still just USB. I ended up grabbing this one which was tested to be ok (there’s a bit of a situation with a lot of vendors selling bad USB->USB-C cables out there):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01706YAXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=qt3-20

I roll commando with my N5X. It’s borderline too-large for me anyway; even adding another 1/8" to the width would be unwelcome. And it doesn’t suffer from the bizarro frictionless back of the N4.

Piggybacking off Gedd – check out Benson Leung’s Google+ page for reviews of safe USB-C cables, or this handy (but it seems a bit outdated) spreadsheet of USB-C cables that are produced to spec and won’t cause any issues with your device.

I picked up some cheap bullshit off Monoprice to plug into my car charger. Works great.

Project Fi is amazing, and the Nexus 5x is a great deal. The battery life does kind of suck, though. Other than that, it’s an inexpensive and satisfying combo.