Android - what's in your pocket?

Yeah, the month-by-month on the Pixel is great. It’s a pity you can’t wait a few extra months for the inevitable Pixel 2, but hey, that’s life.

And definite congrats, then :-D

That’s actually what I would prefer to do, but if this Nexus keeps having little failures like an incorrect clock and problematic Bluetooth, I might have to upgrade sooner.

Oh and thank you. :)

Quaro and Canuck, thanks for those suggestions and info, as they both seem like good replacements. I don’t use any games or apps other than backpacking types and FB, so I don’t need anything super speedy or expensive, and these both seem fantastic for what I’d be doin’!

I will continue to sing the praises of my Nexus 6p. Possibly the best phone I’ve owned.

I hope the Mrs Rubin to be likes space games.

If you going for the S7 and do not mind a lesser battery, I’d go for the “non-Edge” version. Edge is a piece of shit as the edges hardly register your key presses, and the basic keyboard has the A button along the edge, luckily you can get a different keyboard, then go into preferences and set it as a one-hand keyboard option, to push it down to the left or right side. Alternatively I discovered that 3 quick presses on the ‘home’ button will minimize the UI a bit.

Qualcomm will do that to a person.

I talked to higher ups at Google about some stuff and they said the android hardware people (which is, by definition, Qualcomm, because fuck you that’s why) think they can’t catch up to Apple on perf for five years.

https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/852438164492898304

Five… years. That’s so profoundly fucked up.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh about that…

The Pixel is a great phone. I’ve been able to use a Galaxy S8+ for a while, and was more than happy to decide to go back to my Pixel XL. Great camera, super fast phone (benchmarks and literally opening every app on the desktop sequentially, aside), and a pleasure to use.

Sounds like a keeper :D

Damn right.

@BrianRubin http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/09/htc-q1-2017-earnings-another-dismal-quarter/

Sigh, how the mighty have fallen.

I’m gonna go to either Best Buy or Fry’s to see if they have a Pixel on display. I wanna try these out in my hands first before I decide.

So I went to Best Buy (Fry’s barely had anything, sadly) and tried out some phones. First I fiddled with the Galaxy S8+, which was just way too tall and felt unwieldy as fuck in my hand. Nice screen, but who cares if I don’t like holding it? I did like the S8 though.

I then tried the Pixel XL, which was REALLY nice in the hand, super snappy and fun to use. I really love vanilla Android, so I might just go for this one.

Finally, on a lark I tried the Galaxy S7 and REALLY liked it. Felt great in the hand, very snappy and responsive and even the non-vanilla UI wasn’t that bad.

So now I’m debating between the S7, S8 and the Pixel XL. The S7 would be a bit cheaper, but the Pixel would likely last longer, ultimately, due to being newer and such. Since I love vanilla Android and have been super happy with my Nexus 5, I’m leaning more towards the Pixel.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

So yeah, after thinking long and hard, I decided I’m not gonna upgrade yet. I love technology, LOVE IT. Yet in playing with a ton of phones yesterday, so few of them really excited me. I liked them, but after I was done playing with them, I couldn’t care less about them. The only one that came close to exciting me was the Pixel XL, but with the 2 mere months away, it seems silly to upgrade now if I don’t have to.

Thanks for all the help y’all have been in here though. It’s much appreciated.

I’ve felt that way about new phones for a while. I went from a S5-S6-S7. Very little difference in the last upgrade. All I really want is a phone with S7 or similar specs with double the battery and not significantly heavier (i.e. double).

Those look really nice but…are they only available in India?

Xiaomi phones aren’t officially in the US yet (most of their accessories are, but not the phones themselves). You’d have to import them from another country; looks like they’ll start showing up in Mexico now too.

Poop, they look really great.

I bought one (Redmi Note 2) from GearBest for my mom and it works in Canada. No 4G though only 4G.