Android - what's in your pocket?

Ordered

I think we all just assumed at this point.

expect whinging to start tuesday

Looks decent, but taking a pass. I’m waiting to see what happens w/ the Pixel 2.

I’m sure its JS perf will make its owners suicidal, but c’est la vie.

Rumors are the Pixel 2 will use a google produced and designed ARM-compatible SoC. They’re apeing Apple. Of course that doesn’t mean it will actually be any good, but Google may have different design goals than Qualcomm.

Pixel 2 is really the phone I’m holding out for. I just hope this aged Nexus 5 can hold out a few more months.

I mostly hope nobody cocks up any implementations of anything I care about such that my N5X becomes burdensome in its slowness for a year or two.

The Oneplus 5 has the worst camera I’ve seen in years. It’s much worse than an iPhone 3GS. Do they still think a high megapixel count is enough on its own? There were 14 megapixel phones in 2012.

This is a daytime photo:

Here is a dimly lit photo:

Here is an iPhone 7 photo:

Edit: I guess the top photo is actually a crop, not a full image, so its not as bad as it looks. Still, all reviews seem to point to a bad camera.

ooh that sucks. A bad camera is an instant no. I think for a lot of people their smartphone is now their camera. It was bad enough to have a shitty camera on my Galaxy Note way back in 2011 or 12; there’s no excuse for it now.

Not all reviews.

Yeah, I don’t care one whit about the camera on the OP5. I have the iPhone for photos. The OP5 will be expensed as the work phone to test Android shit on.

I’ve taken badly lit photos at night with a DSLR and expensive lenses. A photo out of context and a crop do not mean atrocious camera.

I’ve seen other samples, including night time pictures which look fine, as long as you use the 16mp sensor for low light.

That said, reviews do convey the impression that while the camera is better than on their previous phones, it’s currently ok to good rather than very good or awesome.

It’s about the only damper on this beast of a phone and it’s a reason I can’t quite decide to pay more than I usually pay on a phone on this one. But it’s tempting.

Besides, the worst camera on a phone ever is clearly the Note 3. What a PoS that was.

I dunno, the Nexus 4 had truly shit camera.

My 5X is very much an…adequate camera. But it’s also a midrange phone, so “adequate” is, well, adequate.

I’ve been plagued with terrible cameras. Galaxy Note 1, then Nexus 5 and now the Moto x Play.

Yeah, the N5 was pretty sub-par for its era too. Again though, midrange phone and everything else about it was pretty great.

Awww, I like the camera on my N5.

looks like it’s due to arrive tomorrow. that’s a lot sooner than expected. this is better than having to jump through hoops for invites.

got the 8gb/128gb version. it feels very nice in hand.