Android - what's in your pocket?

oh this is great, didn’t notice it came with a screen protector pre-applied.

Is it tempered glass? Or plastic?

it appears to be plastic.

Does anyone get those messages (from google maps I assume?) asking wether you are at this or that location and if you would like to leave a comment/review? I tried to kill all notifications from maps, but I still get those questions, so I’m not sure what settings to deactivate so I do NOT get these messages bugging me all day…

Any tips?

Yeah I get those, not dug into how to turn them off though.

The main setting is in Google Maps settings under Notifications->Your Contributions. If you’ve definitely turned that off, they may be coming from Google Now, where it’s under Notifications–>Places.

I like those notifications. The ones that annoy me are in Windows 10 where Skype keeps trying to sell me on things in my notifications. I need to look into how shut those off. I’ve never even used Skype on Windows 10 yet. Maybe that’s the problem. I need to run it once and set my preferences.

Slight change of topic, Project Fi is going to get a mid-range phone entry, and it’s rumored to be the new Moto X 4. My wife really enjoyed her first generation Moto G, and she misses some of the Motorola-only features on her current Nexus 5X. So maybe a future Project-Fi compatible Moto X could be in our household’s future.

This looks appealing for the price:

If this processor is energy efficient then this could be an amazing phone.

Alex

That does look great, especially at that price.

@rei, you buy all phones, don’t you? Are you going to get this one and offer us some hands-on impressions? :P

MediaTek SoC means no sale.

And rightly so. Just don’t do it, unless you want zero updates.

So, my brother wants to get me the Moto 5g on prime right now for 179.99. I currently have an Axon Pro, which has a better screen and larger size, but it’s 2 years old and no longer gets security updates. Would I be comfortable with this change?

I miss being able to type on phones one-handed :(

So I say smaller! :)

I just replaced my 3 year old LG G3s with a Moto G5 and I am very satisfied. I am not a phone enthusiast, but it feels snappy and responsive compared to the old one.

Pixel 2017 rumours starting to come out.

So what would be a decent Android phone with long battery life that is light and will let me do voice texting? I am a very light phone user. I use them for calls and the odd text now and then, and I prefer to use voice text rather than peck out a message with my Gollum-like thumbs.

I seem to be around a computer most of the time so I don’t need to stare at a tiny screen when I have a nice monitor to look at instead. And when I’m away from work and home I prefer to not engage with devices anyway. I spend too much of my life staring at a screen as it is.

I have a Samsung 5 or something like that now that’s nice, but the battery’s about shot (even with a battery case) and it’s heavy. I use about 2% of its features. I want something light and that I don’t need to charge every day since I won’t be using it much. Cheap is good too!

OMG so excited. When do these things usually come out? I’m about to throw my Nexus 5 through a wall but am TRYING to be patient.

Well they’ve only done one Pixel/XL generation so far, and they were notoriously bad at shipping them, so it’s hard to say when you might get your hands on one. But the rumours are suggesting an October-ish launch.

Mark,

Upside is that there are a ton of Android phones focusing more on battery life:

Downside is that none of them weighs less than your (very light) 145g Galaxy S5 :)

Thanks!

Well, my phone has a battery case thing so it’s actually quite a bit heavier. It already gets terrible battery life even with the second battery in the case. I can charge it overnight and by early evening, not having used it at all, it will be nearly dead.

Of late I’ve barely been using it. I’m charging it now for the first time in over a week. It’s been sitting on my desk at home. In some ways I like not carrying a phone around and I like not having to remember to charge it or worry about how much charge I have left. When I’m out I’m out and no one can call me and tell me to do something, like come home or get milk or ask me what I’m doing. It’s a liberating feeling. So maybe I don’t really want a new phone. The one I have is not really working for me, though.