Android - what's in your pocket?

Funny thing is I’ve already dropped my phone a few times but it was saved each time by the headphone cable acting as a bungee cord so it’s pretty much stopped falling when it hits the ground. The jack on this thing is strong enough to break the fall. I wonder if there’s a product that could attach to your belt and do the same thing?

The lesson is, never take off your headphones! (I tend to put them around my neck when I’m not listening all day at work anyway…)

Not for me, though I get why others would be annoyed. I switched to wireless headphones something like 6 years ago, so if anything it’s actually a positive as far as I’m concerned.

It would be a significant strike against it, but not necessarily an immediate disqualification, depending on what else is in the running at that point. Have to wait and see the final release.

Until or unless USB C headsets become as cheap and ubiquitous across multiple devices as standard headphones, it’s a pretty big deal breaker for me.

I prefer Bluetooth, but there are too many times I’ve left them uncharged, or can’t find them when I have to run out for work, but I can just grab one of dozens of standard earphones lying around for my commute.

Why not just buy a couple 3.5mm->USB C adaptors? They’re around $7.

@ArmandoPenblade Samsung just announced a ‘rugged’ non-curved version of the S8 launches this week, with a bigger battery too.

Can you charge and jam simultaneously? If not, pretty much useless for my use case, sadly.

And the Active looks awesome… And is AT&T exclusive for some amount of time… Blah

Unless your car supports wireless charging, I guess not! But I was directing that bit at mono.

Unfortunately there’s no universal solution for both charging and headphone audio on Android. You can buy a USB-C hub that says it will charge your laptop and then plug a USB->headphone adapter into that, and it will reportedly work, but is not exactly elegant.

On iPhone apple sells an adapter to do this which works fine. Still #donglelife but at least it works.

Personally I just use bluetooth earphones. Battery lasts 8 hours and I charge it once a week. 5 minutes charging is 2 hours of audio too.

Yeah, unless the phone is super duper awesome in every other way I likely won’t get it. I needs me a headphone jack.

Ohhhhhhh, that looks awesome.

Some of my ubiquitous headphones only cost 7 bucks, but still, that’s a fair point.

I think I finally know what I will trade my Samsung S7 in for, the Samsung S8 active. It’s like the s8 but with a flat screen, shatter proof protection and 33% more battery life. These phones have always been exclusive to AT&T but rumours this time is that AT&T will only have exclusivity for a limited time so they might be out on T-mobile in the next month or two.

Yeah, my dream scenario is that the V30 and Active are both for sale on TMO by January and I can pick between them based on battery life and camera quality reviews. Both appear to feature headphone jacks, flat screens, large batteries, gobs of RAM, and recent CPUs.

If your current trade-in value is equivalent to your EIP then you can trade in the old one for free and move on to the new Jump on demand service with T-Mobile. This allows you to change phones every 30 days with no up-front payments.

I am on the older Jump plan and thus can only switch once a year. I’m okay sticking it out a few months and making sure, for instance, the V30 doesn’t suffer from bootloop issues like several of its LG predecessors.

So tonight, inexplicably, my Nexus 5 began to send texts as emails, and I can’t get it to stop.

While I was trying to fix it, Sprint sent me an email on a deal for this new Essential phone.

I said “fuck it” and pre-ordered it on the spot. It looks like everything I want in a Nexus phone by the co-creator of Android itself, so I had to have it.

Can’t wait to finally retire this old Nexus 5.

Still rocking a GS6 here and being that seems to be a great deal, I will also be hopping on that myself.

My main qualms were lack of any water/dust resistance and the lack of wireless charging and a headphone jack. But then I realized that I have never had a phone with any water or dust resistance and never plug headphones into my phone and I was mostly ok with it.

I will slightly miss plopping my phone on the wireless charger when I’m working, but in every other way it looks like a damn fine upgrade.

Yay! May we both be lucky with this thing.

Hey, fellow Android phone users (I just got a Moto G5 Plus myself)–what sort of earbuds with inline remote/mic can you all recommend? Something with play/pause, ff/rewind (to use a dated term), and volume control (basically the way the EarPods work on the iOS side).
I’ve heard a couple of good things about a Xiaomi model called the Hybrid Mk IV or something.
Thoughts?

OT, I realize, but yes you should: you’ll feel about a thousand times better with better quality sleep.
(I speak from experience.)