Android - what's in your pocket?

Good god, google maps can take 10 seconds to load? If that isn’t constrained by the network, your phone is stinking garbage juice.

I experience it too at times, only on qt3. Reported it in the discourse thread, but no response.

10 seconds is probably me being dramatic. But five, sure. And that’s still slow af.

Like I said, I feel like it’s been getting slower. Given how fucked the N5X has proved out to be, I’m willing to believe my anecdata.

I’m in the same boat and concerned that every day is going to be the one where my 5X goes into the inevitable bootloop… but the specs on the G6 don’t do it for me. I’m actually considering switching off of Fi between the lack of phone choices and the cost of data. $10/gb was great when they launched but the industry has adapted.

@inactive_user and @LockerK, it’s mentioned upthread, but to save $$ and get a much better phone, pick up a LG v20. ya, it’s 2 years old, but 2x the memory of your X5, faster processor, and it’s only $250 on ebay for a NEW unit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlg+v20.TRS0.TSS0&_nkw=lg+v20&_sacat=0

Yep. I have that same thing happen with my Nexus 6p with Google Maps and other apps sometimes. I wouldn’t say 10 seconds is you being dramatic. It seems that long to me too sometimes. Like, it loads up the app’s barebones faster than that, but it doesn’t fill in the map for a while, so it’s 10 seconds from switching to it, to when it finally gives you something useful on the screen.

Yeah, something is clearly wrong. Have you tried clearing the app’s cache and data?

I have not, I suppose I can give that a try. But it’s not just Maps, it’s all kinds of stuff that takes forever to load if it gets paged out of memory. Kindle is a disaster, although all of Amazon’s shit is so tied back to their servers that I’m willing to chalk that up to network effects even though it’s on a rock-hard wi-fi connection.

Appreciate the rec @Tman but I’m probably sticking with Fi for the nonce. It suits my needs really well, and native integration to phone/SMS over the Hangouts chrome app is a killer app for me.

Maybe wipe the phone and start clean, then. That should not be happening.

Fuckin’ thing is all of a year old, gotten as a replacement for my original 5X (on the terribly overpriced Nexus Protect program, oh well) that was having battery issues. Bleh. I’ve been switching to new launchers and such to try and improve things like the launcher taking forever to load when hitting the home button as well.

Oh and I started getting random “Prime Video has stopped working” focus-stealing toasts when I haven’t even loaded that app since last reboot. So good times overall.

Wouldn’t be shocked if there’s a few dead bits somewhere in the RAM or some such. Do modern phone memory controllers detect and blacklist known bad addresses like SSD controllers do?

More than a few devices from that timeframe actually just had bad SSD controllers so the internal flash would slowly degrade in usefulness before disappearing entirely.

I got the latest system update yesterday and it looks like they’ve fixed the USB/lock issue. About time!

I am still rocking a oneplus…ONE. Works fine, not a fan of the notch even though the 6 is pretty tight, I’d still use my one will it completely wears out(if it would). Or if it doesn’t then I will blow it up with a bazooka lol

Anyone of any problems with the Moto X4 not going into do not disturb mode when you flip it over? My G5+ worked perfectly. I still get the damn notification sounds when I flip it over, even with the do not disturb settings set to alarm only. I have to turn the volume down each night manually. I miss it recognizing the flip to face down to initiate do not disturb.

That’s a setting that can be enabled/disabled. Are you sure you have it enabled?

yep, i’m sure

I am having an issue with my android phone’s youtube app. Basically it is not seeing my chromecast. It was working fine yesterday.

I have tried re-launching the app, rebooting my phone, rebooting my router, rebooting my chromecast and none of that works.

However, my google home app can see my chromecast. It will update with whatever background is currently on my chromecast.

Any ideas?

Hey guys, every so often I’m browsing a site on my Moto G5+ (just yesterday it was weatherunderground.com) and I’ll get a scary popup saying “your phone is infected!!1!” etc. Needless to say I don’t hit any links there. Usually just closing the browser tab makes it go away. I can just chalk that up to a phishing ad, right? Is it worth it to install Malwarebytes for Android and run a scan?

Let me guess - it’s through a webview (i.e. browsing through a website off of a link in an app) vs a full-fledged browser?

Webviews have fewer bad ad protections so you’re probably getting hit with bad ads - they are safe to ignore, just don’t download anything they ask you to.

One thing I’d suggest is pasting this in chrome and turning on the Frame busting option.

chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture

It’s not a miracle for it, but it can help.