Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

When you mine your rocks, you may not have found that some tactical hole-digging increases the amount of resources you harvest by double or more. Specifically, if you dig two holds diagonal to one of the open “corner” spaces around the rock, you can situate your avatar there and the holes will hold them in place while you smack the rock itself. Rocks “time out” after a few seconds after the first hit, but will give up to 8 resources total, if you are fast enough. Without the holes to hold you in place, you have to keep running forward due to the knockback, and can usually only manage 3-4. See diagram:

OOOHO
OOOOH
OOROO
OOOOO
OOOOO

Apart from that, once your rocks on your own island are exhausted, earning Miles and using them to buy NookMiles tickets to fly to distant islands and find new rocks to mine is the best way to speed this particular quest along :)

Oooo, I did vaguely remember being told about the hole thing when banging the rocks (together guys), but I was only digging one hole. Managed to get 6 bits out of most rocks doing that, 4 when my flimsy tools breaks.

To the airport!

Things like cliffs and trees can also act as a knockback “blocker” if they’re in the right spot, which comes in handy on some of those mystery islands with really dense layouts.

Oh, one other thing: like most things in the game, the rock resources can’t “land” on a space occupied by anything else, so if there are any weeds or branches in the spaces immediately around a rock, always pick those up, first.

Turnips for 90. She’s currently across the bridge to the North.

N0CYS – 2:45 remaining.

@Knightsaber If you decide to take the plunge today, you’re welcome to drop things off – I can stay open for a few hours to let you do the swap. There’s a ton of space East just over the bridge, since I did the reset not that long ago.

You know I think I might do that today. Have to best friends you so I can dig up my flowers though.

Just realized how many trips it will take with a new character.

Oh god 20 pocket spaces. Do you remember it, KS? Living like savages, scrabbling for scraps on the forest floor and running from the almighty scorpions, lords of the night??

How far we have come indeed.

I’m doing it anyway :)

I genuinely envy you. We powered through so much early content to get to the “good stuff” faster. I’d have loved to have stopped and smelled the windflowers a little more.

I should mention how nice it was to start over (edit) without bells too. It made everything matter again.

I have 2 Mikes on my list, which island is yours? :)

Reposado

Do you mean without? I haven’t decided on that yet.

Right, without bells. Fishing matters, etc. It’s refreshing.

LMK if there’s something I need to do to become best friends. I’ll (probably?) have to reset my code if it means going to the main menu but that’s fine.

It’s in your phone, you should have a request from Dylanni / Caprica.

Which will be totally different after I wipe the island.

I may need to go friend you first. I’ll do that now.

You must be the third Mike then :)

I’m on the way with oodles of flowers, this is going to take quite a while.

If you need more room feel free to pick a spot. If it’ll let you chop down trees, be my guest. I’m still working on layout and have too many trees anyway.

We need to Switch friends, I think. My code is way up in the original post.

I think 2-3 more trips then lord knows how many back the other direction.

done, and best-friended