Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

I’d like to find more shows like Berserk, or something Battletech-ish. This is what I’ve seen:

Attack on Titan
Sword Art Online (10ish episodes)
Robotech
Berserk

That’s about it I think.

Gurren Lagann (great fun, but can be a bit goofy at times)
Code Geass
Yamato 2199 (not exactly a mecha show, but awesome space opera…similar to robotech in many ways. A remake of the original Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers from the 70s). This one is more serious in tone than the two above if those are too shonen-ish

Iron Blooded Orphans (I haven’t seen this Gundam series yet, but am about to start it at the insistence of both of my kids)

All of these are on Crunchyroll, along with Valvrave, Gargantia, and others.

Look up Claymore if you liked Berserk.

What did you like about Berserk? Anything in particular?

The gritty war aspects I think. Thanks for the recommendations!

Maybe try Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? It wasn’t great, but I think it’ll be right up your alley.

Also Drifters. And Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

And if you really liked Berserk, probably Hellsing Ultimate.

Prefer this option…

Ok, can you break it down for me? I saw the original FMA, and really liked it, when it came out.

However shortly after I basically stopped watching anime for a good 8-10 years. What’s the difference between FMA and Brotherhood?

The original FMA diverged substantially from the original manga. Brotherhood is much more faithful. They both have their points but Brotherhood and the manga are darker and more thoughtful.

Yeah I prefer Brotherhood

Brotherhood spends a lot less time on events in the early portion of the series, which makes it inferior to me. the manga wasn’t finished yet, so the original series went more slowly through what story existed. As noted above, there comes a point where the story converges significantly because of this. It also introduces a bunch of other characters and a secondary subplot in the second season which I didn’t particularly like. Finally, while brotherhood has General Armstrong (+), there’s a lot less Maj. Armstrong (—).

Lots of people, perhaps most, seem to prefer Brotherhood. I don’t understand those people.heck, the one real positive in Brotherhood’s favor (and I don’t really agree with Malkav that it is darker) is that one of the characters that meets an early death in the former doesn’t in the latter.

Ok thanks for those. A couple questions, and a couple comments. First questions:

How much of Brotherhood is retreading FMA? Is it 75 retread, 25% new? 75% new, 25% retread? Or is it more retread early, but becomes more different at a certain point?

How worth watching is it if you’ve seen the original, but really only watch 2-3 hours of TV a week total?

Now comments:

This I don’t care about. Almost aggressively so, much like spoilers. Not to say I don’t understand or appreciate how some people feel differently! But for me, personally, I don’t care as long as the changes tell a story worth telling.

This, however, is different. That could be something that justifies the new show to me. However @Misguided claims otherwise. So I don’t really know what to think of that!

For what it’s worth I’ve also heard the general feel that the consensus is Brotherhood is superior, however I couldn’t shake the feeling that more than a little bit of that consensus was due to fans of the manga being upset over changes/ more happy with a more strict adherence than any inherent quality of the show.

There are very similar early, but brotherhood skips a fair bit of minor stuff (particularly before Edward takes the exam) and condenses some others (notably the events with Shou Tucker and Cornello). I can imagine some people prefer that, but I like that early stuff.

I should say that Wrath from the original series is a negative. That character doesn’t exist in Brotherhood or the Manga.

I’ve never seen Brotherhood because I see no point in watching a direct adaptation of a manga I’ve already read. I think the manga’s take is more interesting overall, but I’d rather see a new take on that story than the same thing but with moving pictures, and there were things to recommend the original anime’s storyline as well.

Knights of Sidonia could be described as Berserk + Battletech. It’s really good and it’s on Netflix.

@rowe33, I also recommend Knights of Sydonia on Netflix. It gets a little slow in Season 2, but overall it’s nice, very entertaining.

I also noticed that my favorite anime series of all time, Erased, has a Live action adaptation with real actors that just came out on Netflix recently. I’ve pulled in two different directions on that one.

One the one hand, I’ve already seen it, and it was excellent (I stopped 3 episodes before the end, because the story was over and it was perfect, so why should I watch 3 more episodes that might make it less than perfect?). Also, what could the Live action aspect add to the story to make it better? I can’t really think of anything.

On the other hand, it was my favorite anime of all time. So maybe I should watch to see if the live action adaptation is any good.

Based on what I could gather, the live action version is the most faithful overall to the source material but cops out with regard to a specific aspect of the part you didn’t watch that I would personally not care for.

There’s not enough there to get me to watch it, so I don’t see why you would ultimately want to.

Also GitS: Stand Alone Complex is sci-fi gritty spec ops stuff with a good story. Really a fantastic anime.

Knights of Sidonia is decent. I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it, but it’s certainly fine if you need something to do.

Yeah, after that first season I thought it had the potential to be something truly special. But the second season made clear that it’s not. A shame. But still, it’s entertaining.