Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

I just started watching a series that popped up on netflix. Its called Jojo’s bizarre adventure. So far its kind of meh. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it worth watching?

Jojo’s is one of the bigger anime franchises that’s currently running, it’s very meme-able, particularly the poses. It also kind of originated the concept of a stand, which has bled out into anime culture in general. I’m not sure which seasons are available on Netflix, but I don’t think there’s huge variations in quality between seasons, so if you watch a handful of episodes you probably will get a general idea if you like it or not. It’s mainly super stylish action with a lot of random heavy metal music references.

There is a lot of it, so the story gets pretty convoluted. I haven’t watched a ton of it, so I’m not sure what a good starting point is, so you may be a bit lost in the plot and characters, but generally I think that what you see is what you get, kinda.

The initial season is pretty shrugworthy in my opinion, but I’m told it gets much wilder as it goes. For example, the whole stand thing doesn’t hit until…season 3, I think? Also Netflix doesn’t have anything like all of it and uses an official translation that removes most of the metal references (for licensing reasons). I’m told you’re much better off with fansubs.

JoJo is the Final Fantasy of animes

Looking forward for Jojo Ocean Stone, when they animate it.

What does that mean? It has a lot of fans but it actually sucks?

I guess technically the stand stuff is “season 2” because season 1 is two arcs, and season 2 is the third. Confusing, but there you have it.

I have never played final fantasy, so I do not know what that means.

I’ve been watching a ton of anime recently…

Sword Art Online (2012) - Sword Art Online | Anime-Planet
SAO beats Attack on Titan to become my favorite anime so far. It’s about a guy who gets trapped inside an MMORPG. The animation quality varies from good (1st season) to amazing (later seasons). As a lover of MMOs it was so much fun to see them brought to life in such a vivid and wonderful way. This show has fun characters, adventure, romance and some great battles. It has it all. I thoroughly enjoyed this one - check it out and see if it grabs you. 9/10.

Parasyte - the maxim (2014) - Parasyte -the maxim- | Anime-Planet
This is a single season and done (so already complete). It’s about a guy whose hand is eaten and replaced by some kind of creature, a parasite. It grows eyeballs and a mouth and begins to speak to him. Although I enjoyed the first half more than the second this was still a really good time. I found it to have a similar kind of vibe to “The Thing”. 8/10. Check out the trailer. :)

Mob Psycho 100 (2016) - Mob Psycho 100 | Anime-Planet
I went into this thinking it was a crime drama (the Italian mob). Nope - it’s about a psychic kid who just happens to be called Mob. I slogged through 5 episodes but it didn’t grab me at all. I really dislike the animation style. It’s highly stylized and pretty zany. The storyline also fell flat for me. I was unimpressed and ended up dropping it. 2/10.

Hilarious. Also, for the record, season one is my favorite.

Damn, Draxen. 2/10 for Mob? We clearly have different tastes. As an aside, the animation style captures the art of the manga really well (Mob was created by One, perhaps most famous for One Punch Man).

It means you’ve said the equivalent of “I’ve just started watching this series called Doctor Who. Has anyone heard of it?”

You loved Sword Art and hate Mob Psycho…this is like opposite of my tastes. Sword Art is like the Ready Player One of anime and just as garbage.

I really enjoyed the first half of season one. You know, before they fridged Asuna. But seriously, that’s a bit much, isn’t it? We don’t all have to like the same things.

I don’t want to pile on, but I have similar preferences to @forgeforsaken. My enjoyment of Mob may be primed by my love of One Punch Man season 1.

I’m not an MMO player, and found SAO to be “yet another anime that has to be about MMOs” of which there were a billion. I preferred “Recovery of an MMO Junkie”, which was pretty different than most of the MMO-influenced anime I’ve seen.

Parasyte was also not to my preference, though I get how someone could enjoy it. But ultimately it’s nerd boy gets super powers oooo-wooo mystery power fantasy.

As far as anime in an MMO, there’s a TON of them.

SAO isn’t an anime about MMOs, which is my problem with it. It’s an anime that happens to occasionally remember it’s set in the least interesting MMO ever made but mostly could care less. If you’re going to theoretically tell a story about being stuck in an MMO, I want it to heavily revolve around the MMO, its mechanics, its worldbuilding, etc. What I watched of SAO barely mentioned any of that.

Yeah Log Horizon, by comparison, feels like it was written by someone that actually spent a lot of time playing an MMO and understanding not just the game mechanics but the social mechanics as well.

These are really good animes. But SAO has bad opinions on the internet.

I too loved it at first. But later realized is somewhat generic. So don’t look back!, just enjoy it.

laughs That’s cool. it’s a very subjective thing. SAO really tapped into my love of MMOs which definitely enhanced my enjoyment of it. I love the art style too.

Funnily enough I tried Log Horizon immediately after SAO and was fairly unimpressed. I found it faired really poorly compared to SAO. For me it lacked any kind of excitement and just kind of gently meandered through its mostly dry plot. I wouldn’t say I disliked it so much as I felt ambivalent about it. Looking back at my watch list I’ve scored it 2/10.
EDIT: Thinking further I wonder if this had something to do with the stakes. In SAO the stakes for the characters were always very high (survive or die, rescue trapped loved one, track down murderer etc) where as for Log Horizon they were mostly inconsequential (no penalty, then later perhaps lose some small piece of memory -ok, that’s pretty major- but the characters that were killed never seemed too bothered about it.)

Definitely marking you down as a useful reviewer. I also seem to like mostly the opposite of what you like.

I really enjoyed One Punch Man season 1 but felt there was a massive drop in quality in season 2 (I think they changed studio). The joke was also getting kind of tired by that point.

Ah nice!
Added to my “want to watch” list. Thanks :)