Annihilation - Portman versus soap bubbles

Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny, and Oscar Isaac.

Directed by Alec Garland. Based on Jeff VanderMeer’s book.

I’ve read the book. It’s pretty cool and creepy, and the trailer seems to match up with what I remember of it, both in terms of tone and content. Looking forward to this!

I couldn’t get any deeper into the Southern Reach trilogy, though. Somehow the early chapters of the second book failed to grip me the way Annihilation did. So I have a ton of unanswered questions about Area X that I wonder if the movie will address. Probably not, if they stick to the story as written.

This book trilogy is hugely problematic. And definitely unfilmable. Hell, by the end it was pretty much unreadable.

I did like book one though!

The trilogy is not really about answers. (I loved it, though.)

It gets awfully Finnegan’s Wake by the end of book three. I was not a fan. But book one was solid!

Agreed with Wumpus. As a trilogy, it’s bad, but the first book is so good, damned if I didn’t get through two unnecessary follow-ups just on goodwill alone.

Can I read book one and be satisfied? For example, I was happy with all but the last Harry Potter books, and would have been fine stopping at book 6 or whatever.

Uh, you’re better off stopping after Book One. Seriously, there’s no answers to be found by going any further: Read the wikipedia entries if you must. But Book One is the only one that I’d say is an actually great book.

Of course, whether it will “satisfy” you is another question entirely. I’d argue if you’re the kind of person who found Twin Peaks Season 3 satisfying, you’ll find Annihilation satisfying.

I would recommend the rest, personally, but they certainly don’t clarify anything.

@DrCrypt and @malkav11, thank you both for the responses. I might just treat the series as an inchoate SCP-wiki entry! Sounds like it could be fun with the correct expectations.

I agree with everyone that the first book was very good! I don’t know how in the hell he made the second and third book so much worse.

Anyway, eco-terror is not a genre you see a lot of.