Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

Thank you for being one of the sane ones.

Yep, same.

Anno has an unfortunate history with bad DRM schemes, before this they used Tages (which had documented deleterious effects on system performance) as well. I’m no fan of Denuvo, but as with Tages I’ll put up with it for an Anno game. PC gaming these days is a long series of compromises, I’m not going to tell anyone else where they should be drawing their lines.

DRM earned itself a bad reputation for sure. StarForce, Tages, yuck. They caused me a lot of problems and I hated the fact that I as a paying customer would have all kinds of issues while the pirates had the hassle-free experience. I’m not a fan of DRM in general.

That being said, if a publisher is going to include DRM? I’d prefer it to be the one that I’ve never noticed due to it working as intended and not negatively impacting my experience with the game. I’ve shied away from games with DRM technologies that have caused me headaches, but until Denovu causes me similar problems I have no qualms about grabbing a game that uses it.

Which is fine and fair, but one does have to keep in mind that just because you’re not having noticeable issues that doesn’t mean there aren’t problems. I’ve never noticed an issue with Denuvo either, but I don’t imagine I can tease out performance problems due to Denuvo from performance problems due to other issues. Some folks seem to be having much more substantial issues.

All that said, yes, it’s clearly less dire than Tages and (god forbid) Starforce.

Oh for sure, and to each their own. If someone chooses to not buy a game due to Denuvo, more power to 'em. Just for me personally, I don’t care if a game has it because I’ve yet to have a problem.

Epic Launcher/store is the new Denuvo anyway. The internet has a new punching bag!

Now starforce, that was some filthy crap! It destroyed optical drives iirc.

Greenman gaming has a 15% off coupon for Anno 1800. Do you think there will be a better discount prior to launch?

That’s a tough call, but there will be a bigger discount before I buy it! :-)

I’d like to pretend I can hold out but then when launch day happens I predict I will get swept up in the excitement and buy it for full price. I’m trying to avoid that!

If you have 100 ubi coins or whatever they’re called, you can turn them into a 20% discount code on the Ubi store. I plan to use mine for Anno 1800.

Be warned, the discount can’t be applied to “new releases”. I dug around a while back, and I think that windows was three months.

Hm, I was able to add Anno 1800 to my cart and apply the discount. But reading elsewhere it sounds like the restriction only applies for some regions. Here in Europe it works for pre-orders and new releases. Very strange.

Thanks for the heads up.

Likewise. Got me to break my no preordering rule, although to be fair there was always an exception for discounts on franchises I trust.

Welp , gone from Steam for new orders after April 16th.

https://www.anno-union.com/en/ubisoft-is-partnering-with-epic-games-store-for-anno-1800/

Welp, guess I can stop paying attention to this one for a year. Let me know how it is!

You can always pre-order, then refund it after launch if its not your cup of tea.

Open beta is coming soon.

this-is-getting-out-of-hand

Honestly, I was mostly being snarky. I’m halfway through a game of 2205 and still mean to put more time into 1404, so I’m not likely to buy it in the next year anyway without a price drop.