Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

Hidden season pass link for Steam:

Something I haven’t been able to figure out. Is this a walker sim? ie. do I need to put housing as close as possible to where people work? or does it do workload ala Simcity 4 where things are simmed on gross aggregate scale?

Nah, in Anno people don’t go to work :-) Never have. You just need the different kinds of labor/work force. Later you even can send that ‘ressource’ to your different islands.
Regarding the placement the only thing to keep in mind is that people don’t appreciate air pollution.

It seems that distances are only important for how far resources have to travel for refinement in the production chain or to the warehouse. Everything else teleports from what I can tell.

I think I’m going to start over then. I’ve been painfully working to make sure each work place was properly attended to by scores of housed people right next door, which means a lot of them are sitting in polluted zones.

If you don’t mind I have questions on trade. So you can either setup trade in your warehouse to sell excess items, or you can send a ship on a trade route. Is one preferable to another?

That’s the way it’s always historically worked in Anno, anyway.

Trade routes have the advantage that you can dictate what to sell/buy. It will exactly work that way. The warehouse on the other hand means random trade. You can’t dictate the amount or even the product reliable. And at the beginning the warehouse can only trade two different goods at once.
E.g. I have too much potatoes… I set up a trade route and sell them. Using just the warehouse there is no guaranty anyboy will ever buy my potatoes.
(Well, I’m no Anno expert. I’m just guessing from what I remember/see right now.)

Excellent. I didn’t know that. The trade has been pretty sporadic out of the Warehouse, but in the end stuff does get bought/sold.

Is there no “Free Trader” in 1800?

What is Free Trader?

In every previous instance of the series I’ve played (1701, 1404, 2070) there’s been an independent NPC whose sole function was to buy, sell, and issue missions. Even if the other AI players weren’t selling what you needed or buying what you wanted, you could generally do business with the free trader to get needs met (at significant cost, of course).

I sent a bug report to Ubisoft since I still haven’t gotten my chess tables.

WHOA… just rechecked and it’s available now. Woohoo!

I’m a little sad that I missed the open beta and don’t have chess tables.

Is there any penalty to having way more people than there are jobs?

@Vesper - just send their tech support a message saying you participated but it didn’t show up. They’ll add it for you.

No penalty - think of that number more as a resource to be “spent”. It’s pretty abstract.

There are trader factions/NPC’s that have items/resources for purchase on their little islands (pre-set islands, they look great, and like pirates, I get the sense these traders don’t expand but rather act as a way to convert money into stuff).

(I’m just happy that when the NPCs talk to you the words that appear next to their portraits are actually what they’re saying.)

(Why are we talking in parentheses? Is this how NPCs talk in Anno 1800?)

Want to see something cool? The tower clocks in the game are tied to your cpu clock and show real time.

JP is this your first Anno game?

You seem so happy! :D