Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

I’m not entirely sure why you’d be trading goods from one island that needs them to another, but if you have to, in the trade route menu you can tell the ship how much to pick up. It’s fiddlier than a reserve amount, but you should be able to get it into a steady state.

Right, but I’m pretty sure you used to be able to say, “Pick up everything except X amount.”

Again, there are imperfect workarounds, but it is baffling why they would take things like that out of the game.

Why not just set the pick up order lower? Say 10 or 15?

It’s just not optimal. It is nice to be able to just leave a constant reserve, and pick up the excess. Having to pick up a specified number is in many cases just not as optimal as leaving behind a reserve/baseline for the island’s own use, and just picking up everything else.

It just makes sense, for example, to say, “I always want to have at least 30 timber on this island for its own use, but want to pick up everything else.”

Picking up a specified amount doesn’t do that.

You can do that with the automated warehouse trade, so it does not make sense if you cannot do it with picking things up.

I really need to look into a bunch more of the little shortcuts. For example, I thought I recalled being able to shift click or control click from a ship to automatically transfer goods to a nearby warehouse without having to open the control screen, but whatever my muscle memory is trying to do from previous games doesn’t work for doing that in 1800.

If that’s when placing logging - that means it will take x amount of time to grow the trees needed for the timber plot. If you place it where there are trees fully populated all around it you won’t see that.

It appears the percentage is the cultivation area percent. Other buildings can reduce this by cutting into their logging area. Also noticed it on the charcoal portion of steel- presumably it needs trees as well.

I think that directly translates to efficiency/productivity (as written earlier). Placing a lumberjack hut there means it will only work at 80%.
And @jpinard: thanks, it is the amount of time to grow enough trees to work properly. I didn’t pay attention to that before. But nevertheless you won’t get a 100% efficient lumberjack hut when it showed 59% while building. It will remain a 59%-lumberjack-hut until the surroundings change.

Do the cart pushing people have to take raw goods to a warehouse before moving on to a finishing stage? or can they go direct without a warehouse? Like pigs to slaughterhouse?

I believe they’ll go directly to the finishing facility if there’s one close by.

Yup.

Which is why I’m hesitant to set up pigs and factories on colonies because to be efficient with the supply chain you’ll also need all the other steps there which means more population to the point you have to make it as big as your home island.

I’m having trouble doing a successful expedition. I have reached artisans, but I still have only my starting flag ship. I’ve been reluctant to build a shipyard or weapons factory because of the maintenance costs, and because I wasn’t sure whether I needed more ships. Can I take more than one ship on an expedition, and if I do, will that give me more space for morale-boosting items, effectively increasing the effectiveness of my fleet?

Also, I have a quest to make an expedition to the New World, but on the map I see only a quest that will reveal a new region. I suppose I need to do that before I can make it to the New World?

You really need Ship of the Line or Cutters for Expeditions.

At Engineer level you can build a commuter pier at the docks to share workforce between the islands, making the possibility of having an entire island without workers.

Thanks, @jpinard. OK, I’ll get to work on those ships. I appreciate the help!

Expeditions are fun. You’ll love them :) BTW go with Ship of the Line. They can carry the best mix and you get great in-born naval power with them.

I really hate Beryl. First, I have to keep buying back shares because I’m guessing I lose control of an island if she gets a majority. Second, she allied with Qing and that wanker, Willy. They then declared war on me. My trade routes get sunk and I lose a new world island I spent a lot of time on. I threw in the towel after that.

Anyone else kinda tired of the music? It’s great music, but boy does it seem to repeat quickly.

I hit that point with any game where I turn the sound off and listen to other stuff.

9 games out of 10 I turn off the music. Gets in the way of podcasts.

Yeah, this is actually a wonderful game for watching something on the other display.