Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

I wish they’d port 2201 to console, then I could make supply chains of eyeballs and orange juice packs between glaciers and the moon from the comfort of my couch!

In the latest update they added 2 new colors. I LOVE the Burgundy color. It really stands out against all the others. Make sure to check it out as you can change the color of your empire at any time by clicking your character portrait.

Ooh, good tip. I am still partway through my latest play, planning to get back to it.

This one sold well!

Best take the city building out of the next one then. It’s the only way to be safe.

Is that a reference to some recent news?

I am thinking @Ginger_Yellow is referring to how Ubi shit the bed with their changes to the new Settlers game. :)

Clearly deep, thoughtful games just don’t sell well. Would have easily have done at least five million units with all the complexity stripped out. /s

And for those of us who don’t own it yet, there’s a free to play period from Mar 16th to 23rd!

This is now free temporarily. Including the newly released console version on Xbox.

Did anyone else try it on the Xbox?

It looked gorgeous when I started the campaign last night. And then the camera pulled to an overhead view, and it gave me controls, and the polygons went to hell. Some kind of polygons that looked like upholstery covered the entire screen. I tried rotating the camera or do other things with the controls, but all I saw on the screen underneath the UI elements was upholstery-textured polygons.

Weird that they would launch like this on the Xbox. That they would pass Microsoft’s testing.

Looks like they fixed the bug. I’m playing the campaign and boy, this is really great so far on Series X. This is my first Anno game and my first city builder since Caesar 3.

The genre has come a long way! I can’t get over how gorgeous it is. I love how you zoom in from a distant perspective down to a building and it loads in a little more detail and more detailed textures, and you think that’s it. But then a second later it loads in even more details and even more objects.

I wonder when this free preview is going to end? I don’t want it to end.

One of the reasons this game is great is that it manages to make even cities where you’re going for max efficiency and no decoration look spectacular. Please post some Anno pr0n when you get a chance!

I have more hours in this game than any other of the past 5 years. It’s got major legs and is fantastic. Though I can’t imagine trying to play it with a gamepad. It works well?

Massive patch next week:

The Creative Mode is a completely separate game mode, an alternative to campaign or sandbox mode. Important to note here also is, that this is NOT the intended way to play Anno 1800 since it does not simulate a regular game. Instead, it’s a mode targeted towards our beauty building community, making it easier to build the city (or industrial district) of your dreams!

1 Like

That Stamps feature is a huge QoL improvement. I’m excited again.

When I heard the name, I was sure it was going to be a set of new collectibles. It’s the right era for Stanley Gibbons, after all.

People, if you’re using creative mode YOU’RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG!

I have to admit I’m not sure I understand the desire for creative mode. The game basically becomes creative mode later when you dominate.

It might appeal to people who like Cities: Skylines and just enjoy creating nice looking cityscapes.