Anonymity, Trump supporters, the right-wing media, and the gman account

I am forced to agree here.

In 2016, thinking Trump would do good could be attributed to naivete.

In 2018, if you are still on that trolly, you know where it’s headed. You are choosing to be on that track.

I mean seriously though, it’s perfectly fine to say “fuck the national review” without necessarily accusing it to be full-blown White Nationalist:

Well, if only the Inners get nuked, I guess I"m okay with that.

Signed,

The O.P.A.

There’s a special place in hell for Respectable Conservative Rags circa 2018.

edit: I can imagine the corrections you want to make to that, @armandopenblade

Then my work here is done.

Not my posting, mind you. God no. Gonna keep right on trucking with that business.

But not seriously enough to have anything resembling introspection.

You guys he just leveled up from level 3 troll to level 4 troll and is trying out all his new skills. Do you guys not remember prank callers? Just hang up on them.

Cool how Tom bound gman to this one thread

There’s room to hate Trump and support other republican candidates, especially on a local level. It may be untenable eventually, but we’re not there yet.

Relevant:

The framing of the piece illustrates how the American discourse concerning racism remains largely about hurt feelings, rather than discriminatory policy: Some people said Obama acknowledging racism was racist, and also some people don’t like that Trump is called racist. This ostensibly neutral framing is centered around a white audience more concerned with being called racist than facing racial discrimination, and one that experiences racism as naughty words rather than as policies that affect whether and how people live their lives.

Hear fucking hear. Don’t defend politicians who espouse racist policies and you won’t be identified with racism. It’s that simple. And if you do, don’t cry when people call you out.

1: stop supporting trump
2: no
1: but he’s racist
2: no u r

This is an important life lesson to take as well, when talking in your well known community.

Accusations of racism also often irresponsibly shut down discussion on important topics, even on college campuses that ideally encourage free speech, which is a very real harm that transcends “hurt feelings.” The way this forum handles dissenting views is also a good example. Open dialogue strikes me as pretty important to a functioning democracy, but it’s hard to have that when people keep willfully mischaracterizing your remarks and book recommendations, spamming dumb personal attacks, floating the idea of doxing you, etc.

For instance, the Atlantic article flatly assumes Obama was always ever benignly “acknowledging racism,” and seems to say that his Dept of Justice oversight of the police was an instance of that. This facile argument overlooks the legitimate arguments that Obama’s DOJ misinterpreted statistics to come to its conclusions, perhaps to further stoke the tensions the article mentions. It’s a hard argument to have without labels getting thrown around – labels that not only “hurt feelings,” but silence dissent.

I don’t know what it means to be “bound” to a thread, but I definitely stopped reading other threads in the subforum.

You can’t fool us, Beezlebub.

Case in point.

This is patently untrue for some posters on this forum (@Timex I’m looking at you in particular, with your recent proclamation that 52% of Britons are racist xenophobes).

This kind of argument where you openly deny something that is obviously happening is in fact happening is almost gmanlike.

I don’t call every British Labour party supporter an antisemite, and I don’t think you’d give me a good reception if I did. So you can’t call every Republican a racist. End of.

I’ve never said “every Republican” unless by Republican you mean “every Republican not calling out Trump and his minions.”
Trump’s whole fucking BRAND is racism.
End of.

OK, but there are lots of British left wingers posting here not calling out Corbyn. Never seen them get called out as antisemities. This forum has double standards, and when you’re talking about Trump that’s fair enough because he’s both fucking appalling and in power, but when it spills over into non-US politics it promotes the kind of divisive rhetoric that prevails in the US.