Another build thread (2021)

I’d be worried about bottom intakes sucking up dust, but can’t argue with those temps.

I looked at that case too. I did like the idea of floor intake for the GPU. The unaddressed problem with all air cooled cases seems to be GPU exhaust. Other than with blower cards, everyone seems to ignore it. Which probably means it doesn’t matter very much, but still :)

The TU150, which is a similar case to this one, did at least have some vent holes in the side panel facing the GPU. I wondered about doing some Heath Robinson type ducting to see if I could maximise that somehow.

My old case was like that, with 3x180mm intake fans on the bottom. Each fan has a dust filter, otherwise it would have been a problem

Reminded me of

but on second glance the fans look a bit more sensible than in the Abkoncore Ramesses 780 :-)

I watched that video. The Abkoncore is a bit of a train wreck of a case.

The bottom and side intakes have filters and I removed the filter for the top exhaust fan to give it a better airflow. Sadly no computer case that requires air or water cooling is immune to dust and all PC and consoles require regular dust cleaning maintenance. I use a Hurricane rechargeable canless air system to blow out all the PC’s and consoles in my house.

The biggest culprits for dust collection are my PS4 and my Intel NUC as they have very limited airflow and dust always gathers around the CPU coolers in these devices. If I don’t clean out the dust from my Intel NUC on a regular basis it can cause a 30°C temp difference from normal. Dust is the biggest killer especially if you have pets or humans that shed a lot of skin flakes.

It really shouldn’t with the positive pressure. That’s how mine was set up and after nearly seven years, there was still barely any dust inside. What there was probably accrued with the machine off

I am hoping this new case will be mostly dust free with the new setup. My old case was really bad for gathering dust but it was not well ventilated.

Local store has the rare 5900x and slightly less rare 5950x CPUs in stock at retail price, but of course I probably won’t see a new graphics card at retail price for months.

Would you guys venture out in this world of COVID to snag a 5900x (my preferred target), knowing that I won’t have a decent GPU until perhaps after Zen 3+ releases later this year or just sit tight?

If that’s the one you want, why not?

Only thought is maybe a better CPU would show up by the time the GPU is available (and I may have had a vaccination by then - it’s in-store, only).

To me, this group of cpus was a huge leap forward. I suspect anything soon will likely be incremental in nature

Depends on what you’re upgrading from and if your video card is good enough to get by in the meantime, probably. You’re still local to the Mayfield Heights store, right? Last time I was there (early December) the employees were good about safety; customers were mostly fine. The processor area is open enough that you can probably avoid most people. I wouldn’t roam their more tightly packed aisles, though.

If you’re concerned I expect they’ll be accommodating and ring you out curbside as best as possible. Giving them a call couldn’t hurt.

GTX 970; laughably outdated compared to the 5900x, although it would be humorous for benchmarking purposes, I suppose.

Yep! A hop, skip and a jump away.

edit - already had returned my motherboard which I’d picked out months back (Gigabyte X570 Aurous Master), so I can start down that long path again, lol.

Buy as many as you can and harvest that 50% ebay markup?

Scored my CPU of choice, the 5900X. And LOL @Alistair - Microcenter (at least my local one) does a fairly good job curtailing that, checking ID and only allowing one 5xxx purchase per 30 days. That said, I’m sure I could turn around and sell this for a profit if need be, lol.

Heh, I lived across the street from Richmond Mall back in the 90s. Been watching their store page to see what video cards they have. Thought about trying to greet someone local to buy one last week, but while the price was good (evga didn’t seem to have raised theirs?) I didn’t really want that card (3070 ftw)

HAH! Yeah, you were certainly a local. It may not shock you, but the mall has dramatically changed since then. Haven’t been in ages (thanks, COVID), but it was basically the food court, theater, and a couple anchor stores the last time I was there.

Not surprising. They never had much in the way of anchor stores to draw people in. Think they had a Dillard’s and a Sears maybe?

Yep, I think that’s right. Sears still got a little traffic, but that seemed like it was dying as well.