Another build thread (2021)

Well, AIO arrived. My case is too small, it touches the RAM shrouds. Not enough sysfan connectors in the motherboard so I had to disconnect the exhaust fan. I need to order that new bigger Meshify case and get a fan controller/splitter.

On the bright side, around 30 degrees cooler under load and 5-10 degrees cooler on idle.

The radiator is touching them?

The radiator fans are touching the shrouds. Not the blades themself, but the fan frame.

Simply not enough room from the top of the case.

Yeah, looking at the picture above, not much room there.

So this turned into a real cluster :)

I spent a week ordering and retuning parts and have only just got back up and running. Although I do have a new case (TU 150) I’ve got everything working in the old one, with a new SFF PSU (which gives more clearance the the GPU), the new CPU cooler, and now a 5600x instead of the 6700K I was actually still pretty happy with.

CPU seems about 20 degrees cooler in Cyberpunk, GPU maybe 6 or 7 degrees cooler too. So all’s well that ends well, and I did learn a fair bit with taking stuff apart and reassembling it repeatedly… but Ugh. Me not so smart as thought :)

I have the SF750 psu from Corsair. Why didn’t you build in the new case?

Once I’d got the SFF PSU I got enough GPU clearance to be happy. I can return the new case hopefully. I did think of the 750, but I have the system plugged into a Killawatt and the highest loads I’ve ever seen are around 320W so I thought the smaller one would be ok, while also actually being in stock.

I forgot yesterday was freezing, so my temp improvements are probably a couple of degrees less than I said :)

The 750 was tough to find last year. It was the first piece of my build I bought for that reason. It was months before the new cpus came out.

Got the Meshify 2 today. Considered postponing it for next weekend, but I couldn’t help myself and spent a couple of hours disassembling my setup and building anew.

It is an absolute blast to work in this case. Everything is configurable and detachable allowing for all sorts of adjustments to fit your needs. Never had a cleaner build than this.

Witchcraft! You could have got a smaller case :)

I must say the braided cables I have don’t do anything for me. They seem bulkier than what you have there. Are the top fans intake or exhaust?

Yeah, purposely went with a PSU with flat cables when I got the 3080. Seems more convenient than the braided mess I had before.

The AIO fans are pushing air upwards.

Some very nice clean builds here. I decided to upgrade my PC at the end of last year after 10 years with my current PC and various component upgrades during that time. Completed this month after waiting for parts. If you like Noctua you will love it as it is full RGBeige.

Apart from the Noctua overload it has the following specs:

Intel Core i7-10700KF
Noctua NH-U12A
ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus
GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24G
G.Skill DDR4-3200 32GB ram
Sound Blaster Z
Corsair AX860i
Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL

We have achieved peak Noctua! I repeat, peak Noctua.

All these beautiful clean rigs…and my spaghetti monster 🤣

I am not going to show you the cable management. 3 hours, 10 fans, 2 PWM controllers, and other sundry cabling equals cable management nightmare. :(

I assure you it beats this:

Of course, having 4x the space helps, lol

Oh wow. Looks like a professional overclockers setup. Is this the final form or are you just in the process of re-arranging everything?

I like the small cases but for myself I prefer lots of room not only for airflow but it is easier for me to build. The Lian-Li case I am using now is actually smaller than my old mid-tower but is wider as the PSU sits behind the motherboard. Also my old case barely fit the 3090 and I only had 1mm to spare to fit it in. This new case has no issues and I have done away with 5.25" drive slots which saves a ton of room.

That was mostly done but for rearranging cables. Still waiting on a 3070 to replace the 1070. I did buy a custom length cable for the main power to the motherboard, which will help a little, but I have not swapped that in yet.

Yeah, my last case was a Silverstone Ft-02. But I have a much smaller space now and the new computer sits on the desk instead of on the floor. That, and it was Sam interesting challenge to build a moderately powerful but quiet setup.

That’s a lot of fans. Does the Noctua-ness outweigh the number, soundwise?

This is amazing. Are they intakes side and bottom and exhaust top and rear? Is there a quiet hum like a beehive about to erupt in fury?

My goal was to create a positive pressure build with this case to try and keep dust out. So bottom three and side three are intakes, top three and single side are exhaust. The bottom three are my old Noctua FLX fans from my previous case and I have set these to 900 rpm. They are louder than normal but not annoyingly so and I do wear headphones. My wife considers them to be very quiet.

The top three, side three, and single side are all PWM fans that vary from 500 to 900 rpm depending on CPU temp. The interesting point to note is even at load the Noctua fans are not loud. The component that generates the most noise is the Gigabyte 3090 with three fans that spin up to 1800 rpm when gaming.

Idle temps are 30°C for CPU and 48°C for GPU. Gaming temps range from 55 to 65°C for CPU and 55°C to 65°C for the GPU.