Another Oil Rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico

WTF???

drill, baby, drill?

Link.

Holy shit!

We lose at water.

Mother F’er!

On the bright side, all the BP cleanup equipment is still in the area… two-fer-one!

Not this shit again.

I saw a story that just said that it’s not a rig, but a platform. Meaning it doesn’t do any drilling. Hopefully that will mean no spill.

I think oil rig and oil platform are synonymous. In this case though there seems to be some doubt over whether it was currently drilling (13 crew seems low for a working facility).

Heard something about how it might be natural gas, not oil. Not confirmed though (I don’t think).

— Alan

OMG IT’S A CONSPIRACY OBAMA DID IT TO HELP EXTEND HIS DRILLING MORATORIUM BECAUSE HE HATES AMERICA

It was not a drilling rig. It was a production platform. Those ARE different.

And now it’s leaking oil.

The platform is a fixed petroleum platform that was in production at the time of the fire, according to a homeland security operational update obtained by The Associated Press.

The update said the platform was producing about 58,800 gallons of oil and 900,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The platform can store 4,200 gallons of oil.

Hopefully the oil sheen is from stored oil on the rig and not a broken wellhead.

The good news is it’s in shallow water. Only about 350 feet deep. Easily reachable by divers. BP’s well was almost a mile below the surface, too deep for anything but robot subs.

Typically, offshore production platforms have multiple wells producing to the platform. So yeah, hopefully no problems with the wellheads…

And Ed Harris breathing oxygenated liquid.

— Alan

There’s probably also enough dispersants already in the water to break up a spill.