Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Just went back to GM1 after advancing to GM2 and discovered it’s much more efficient to farm GM1 for Legendary loot. Only 8 minutes to complete (including Monitor) Heart of Rage with 700+ javelins.

Yep, 1 legendary for average 2 GM1 runs vs 1-5 for GM2 (20-30min each) makes for more efficient farming.

Can’t say I’m surprised. Just another reason that gm level should influence inscription rolls.

anthem subreddit is going crazy with how bad the loot system is and the loot drop rate so much so they are going into tinfoil conspiracy theories that difficulty and loot are being driven by machine learning ai that adjusts it dynamically

…wtf

I don’t know too much about this context but there is this:

Probably not implemented yet, but it does seem like there is industry interest in these types of manipulations.

WTF indeed. Stop. This was a 4chan troll post, not real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/b6vdpz/you_guys_are_being_bamboozled_by_the_hacker_known/

To clarify I’m “WTFing” at the subreddit nonsense. I don’t believe the conspiracy itself.

Thank god. Sorry, I just spent the morning with my brain exploding all over my office walls while reading that subreddit. :)

It apparently doesn’t leave bandwidth for proper reading comprehension!

Bioware, just give those poor souls some loot.

It’s not just loot – it’s the absence of any endgame progression system. Loot is a part of that, as everyone wants to improve their gear. But there’s nothing to gear up for. Diablo 3 has Greater Rifts, other games have Raids or PvP. Anthem has nothing in that space.

This game just ends around 700+ gearscore. You’re extremely unlikely to get any further upgrades, and even if you do… so what?

And there’s little reason to go for the current GM levels that exist. Not much point in wasting your time on GM3 when you can clear GM1 faster. If they had more content, they could gate some stuff behind GM2 and GM3.

If they want to keep gear score flat, they could roll better inscriptions on those difficulties or something.

The game is a lot of fun, but there’s not a lot there right now. I had a great time getting to max level and picking up some masterworks, but with the sparse loot system the grind for 1) the right masterwork (let alone legendaries!) 2) the right inscriptions is just awful and not rewarding at all. Rather than beat my head against the wall, I just went to play Division in the meantime.

Hopefully they can get their shit together and put out some content, but so far I think every patch has been unintended changes like recently breaking loot in their loot-focused patch, for crying out loud. I literally have no idea how that gets past even cursory QA playtesting, or how these problems keep cropping up in the first place. Something is very much not right in their codebase if loot is unintentionally swinging from showers to droughts.

How do you foster teamwork and community with the absence of any in-game text chat or anything at all that would encourage it?

Teamwork? Community? Interesting.

developer furiously takes down notes

Yeah… this is probably the worst design decision they made. It’s essentially impossible to form an in-game community in Anthem, as you can’t talk with anyone. Maybe they didn’t notice this issue, as they all play together in the office.

People stick with games because of guilds/ friends. Anthem has nothing in that space, either. You either bring your own guild/ friends from other games and use Discord, or you play with bots.

Somewhere in that organization, someone is making really awful decisions.

It’s definitely a very weird omission for an online-only game.

In my mind, I picture a small team working on the core gameplay in an office a floor down from everyone else. They focus, dial it in, and get it just right. They head upstairs to show off their work and it’s just a complete madhouse. Some 20-year old coked-up nephew of an EA exec is playing office manager, there’s a donkey’s quinceanera celebration taking place, and the only developers that can be seen are in the corner chainsmoking cigarettes and giving their monitors thousand-yard stares. And then they ship the game.

I can actually picture that :) Makes as much sense as any other explanation.

Not at launch, iirc.

Data miners have found files that appear to be related to text chat. If they were going to add that, April would make sense as part of the guild update

New games don’t get that benefit though. They need parity at launch with games that have previously launched.

True,

But Anthem wasn’t released in 2012 either.

And back then, we probably knew better also.

I am continually amazed that developers keep repating the same (fucking) mistakes over and over - especially when others solved it, and held GDC talks about it, 4 years ago. But maybe it is management that overrides them.

I know one thing, the Gamasutra Postmortem for Anthem will be glorious.

Does anyone’s gun (LMG in my case) shooting or cursor movement during down/up/diagonal movement just stop working intermittently?

Why do you guys keep playing this game, again? Haha.

I had a decent couple weeks with Anthem despite it’s many (MANY) faults, but by the time The Division 2 came out I was so ready to move on.

At this point I’d be more interested to see what lessons they can take into a sequel (not sure how likely that is!), than I am to see if they can eventually shape this bodged together ball of compromises and lessons unlearned into something with longevity.