Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Yay! They actually listened. Wonder what they’ll do with current +Luck gear.

I’ll definitely hop in when it launches, at least to check it out. Timed kill runs don’t sound super-interesting, but there’s something about puzzles? And a boss?

Oh, and melee becomes a slot that lets you choose between primer/detonator. I think that’s something everyone wanted.

For a game that severely lacks content, seems like a bad call to make the new Cataclysm a timed event only. Plus, with the gear in Cataclysm being higher level and the event being temporary, does that mean people that don’t play it will be forever behind the curve?

I would presume that there will be other sources of the higher level gear (not necessarily immediately) after the Cataclysm in other content updates. I would also assume the Cataclysm will return at some point.

Timed event works as a way to get people to come back, if even for a few weeks. If it were to go on forever, they’re less likely to think they need to do it then or risk missing the opportunity.

They finally updated the roadmap on last day of May and removed all mentions of the cataclysm and specific months. Act 1 “content” now lists bug fixes and updates to the real money shop.

Oh man. That sucks.

Well at least it still shows 3 acts.

Spoiler: Act 2 is to fix bugs reintroduced from Act 1. Act 3 consists of fixing bugs from Act 2. BioWare Magic!

My body is not ready for the CATACLYSM

I wonder how big of a factor is the human side, the hate and negativity affecting the devs and the decision-makers. They’re human as well, and might easily look at Anthem as a lost cause. I.e. the work that would go into getting the goodwill back and actually make it a sustainable product might in their eyes be larger than actually just focusing on the sequel or just bank their energy into Apex instead.

Then again, it will erode trust that they will support their products in the future. So even though abandoning Anthem might be an easy decision short-term, it can cost them long-term.

I wonder this myself, I mean Mass Effect: Andromeda was abandoned after a few bug patches and peoples memories were damn short, as Anthem sold pretty well at release.

Yep. There is such a thing as being a ‘lost cause’ and once the memes and dogpiles hone in it is really hard to dig yourself up from that. I wish people would be ready to give them a chance, but it is so brutal out there, even the slightest misstep is greeted with an avalanche of ridicule and complaints. I’m not surprised if they feel like they should just give up and move on to the next project; especially because in a couple of years I’m sure there are many who are willing to give them another chance.

Jesus this is bad

That list of stuff “Currently in Anthem” made me laugh pretty hard.

• Fixes, Improvements and Optimizations! (Wow!)
  • New stuff in our store that lets you spend real money! (Wow!)
  • That weekly thing where you get some in-game currency for you and your friends playing the game! (Wow!)
  • Dailies, Weeklies AND Monthlies! (Wow!)

They do deserve some of the negativity (but not harassment) due to the contempt they have for their players and the mishandling of communication: ie the lack of it. Plus the deception under which the “live service” model is predicated. This isn’t F2P where some slack can be given but a full priced supposedly triple A title. They continue to be tone-deaf and arrogant in their botching of the genre by not learning from their contemporaries. This is uh no pun intended beyond saving.

Yep, they’re not handling it well. But no one should be surprised that they’re stepping away from the game because of the vast negativity.

If this were any other game I’d be content to let it die in peace. But this is the EA, who thought they could purchase the goodwill of BioWare and RPG fans and exploit the shit out of us with half assed “live services”.

This needs to be a huge public failure and a massive loss in investment so the EAs, Activisions, Ubisofts of the world stop doing this. Just like Battlefront II. Turn it into a meme, pile on the scorn, make game publishers afraid to fuck over their audience with incomplete, micro transaction laden, Triple Aaaaa garbage. Channeling some Jim Sterling there.

Ubisoft seems to be doing this well, I think. They’ve supported mediocre releases of GaSs (Division 1, For Honour, Rainbow 6 Siege) until they got their legs and are now years old and still being supported. If you’re going to go GaS you have to continue with the S part at least as much of not moreso than the initial G. I don’t think EA gets that.

Edit: Though they did drop the ball on the Crew/Crew 2 since they pretty much killed the good one when the crap one came out.

By arrogance I mean this:

(Link goes to the exact time and quote. Plus the shitty gating of cosmetic armor)

“One of the most generous offerings in videogame history.”

LOL

Odyssey’s support has been awesome for a completely single player game. Wait, what’s GaSs?