Antihero

The Big City is just the basic map without any additional victory point opportunities (i.e., the cargo in The Wharf and the heirlooms in Masquerade).

No VP, and I am thinking the bases being closer to each other may lead to more interaction. I haven’t had that much of a turf war in a game yet. My game against tgb123 was decided without a single Urchin eviction, if I remember right. We had a couple of gang fights, but I think they were both lethal.

Maybe that is a good thing, as I guess a turf war could really extend the length of the game.

Starting off so close to each other should lead to some interesting territorial control issues.

Is this primarily a single player or multiplayer game?

Both. Right now the priority is testing multiplayer, but the tutorial and skirmish modes against the AI are there, if a little rough. Eventually there will be a single player campaign and (we hope) improvements to the AI

The beta is focused on multiplayer, the final game is supposed to have some sort of single player goodness in the form of a campaign.

Edit: you got two answers for the price of one!

Thanks, I think I’ll pop it onto my wishlist!

Since you both are so knowledgeable, do you know if Gremlins Inc works well as a single player game ? :-)

It theorically may: I have had a pleasant experience in single player, much better than I expected, but there is a big ‘but’: always online DRM (well, it’s called “super uber AI optimization engine through stat gathering and kernel recompiling through the multiweb”, but practically, it acts as an always online DRM).

In practice always online DRM rarely bothers me. In theory it does, but it’s rare it actually affects my enjoyment.

I haven’t played it in a long time, so this may have changed, but when it first came out, not for me. The AI plays so quickly, and the board is so busy, that it was difficult to follow what it was doing. There’s a sort of log at the bottom of the screen that you can refer to during your turn to see what went on, but having to go through it every turn was too much of a chore.

Of course, YMMV as the cool kids say these days.

Fellow antiheros, I’m open to invites! The name’s ‘Geggis’ in-game.

Sent an invite!

I’d say it’s quite certain that, in a week or so, we should start a league!

I envision splitting us into small groups and we play each other person once. In between seasons, the top couple of finishers move “up” to the next group, and vice versa. Something like that. Depends on how many of you are interested.

I’d be game for that Dave.

You have my envenomed shiv!

Canon fodder reporting for duty.

Wish the game included a king/thief of the hill system where the winner of each game goes on to the next match mimicking taking over the city. Maybe you could choose to keep half your upgrades into teh next match or something (kind of growing in power as you take over more territory).

I’d be up for a league as well.

@Thraeg, do you realize we have a game going?

Yeah, I started it, but didn’t get an email saying it was my turn. I’ll check again tonight.

Although be careful, as the author of the game stated the maps would probably be switched in an out during the course of the beta, which could mean the games would then be void.