Any HVAC experts? Am I being scammed?

I would hope the warranty is at least 5 years.

10-year warranty on all parts, only 1 year on labor but whatever, it’s a service call either way.

I am convinced that heating and AC units just know when it’s the worst time to fail. Then they do.

Here, the latest wonder is a state law that says if you don’t have a certificate of (successful) inspection for your fuel oil tank (for heating with oil burners, like most of us up here) dated within the past three years on file with your oil provider, after August 15 they can’t deliver oil to you. Of course, there’s a booming scam business with inspectors, most of which are employed by the oil companies or who have ties with HVAC providers, who inevitably flag anything other than a tank they put in themselves as failing inspection, and force you to pay thousands to replace what are often perfectly good tanks.

Now, some of the rules on paper make sense, such as diameters of certain pipes and lack of rust, etc., but none of that matters when the implementation is tailor-made for corruption.

@Grifman , so are you keeping cool now? And is the wallet intact?

That’s weird. Maybe it’s a control issue, and it has gone to a default state? Any luck getting anyone to look at it yet?

Guy I talked to suggested filter replacement and checking airflow through the returns ASAP, which I did. The problem hasn’t returned so I’m in, “monitor until it happens again,” mode. We both agreed if its an actual issue it will happen again. That wasn’t even a super hot day of our summer, yet.

Either way ill have them out at the end of the season for a check.

I forgot to update. About two weeks ago the problem did indeed return. AC completely shut off the upstairs unit (which also provides power to my thermostat.) No cooling in the house at all. This time I did some more troubleshooting and noticed a shorted electrical smell upstairs at the unit. I called in and got a tech out that day passing him the info I’d seen. He immediately knew what was going on, came with the part needed (an internal on/off switch on the unit that was poorly wired in and shorts out,) and replaced it that morning. We’re back to full blast down here.

That does concern me the HVAC system had a failure prone part, but as long as they knew that and it cost me nothing but his labor, I’m still okay with it.

It’s going to be in the 90s all week here and two of the HVAC systems in my house just failed. (Note: weird old house with a janky addition from the early 80s that is poorly designed.)

We received multiple quotes and have narrowed down to either a Bosch or Carrier heat pump unit/blower for the main one that failed. (The 2nd one probably could just be removed?)

Any thoughts about the reliability and efficiency of these brands? The only advantage with the Bosch that I can see is that it would work with our existing Nest thermostat and the Carrier one would require a separate thermostat and app.

Do you have a split system? Amazing they failed at the same time, did you have a power surge?

Whatever new unit you do get, make sure they put this on the power supply shut off box, they should be the ones suggesting it actually. ;)

https://www.intermatic.com/en/hvacr/power-protection/ag3000

They’re both just old, unfortunately. The compressor died in the main unit. The blower died in the smaller one. It probably was 25 yrs old? The original part of the (old) house has a single 4 ton unit. That’s the one where we are evaluating the Bosch vs. Carrier. The addition actually has two other smaller separate systems because the architect who designed it is a no-talent ass clown. Due to the house/addition design, they cannot be put on the same system without huge expense.

Sadly no experience with either Bosch nor Carrier.

Our A/C guy who has been in the business forever only installs Goodman and or Rheem units.

Blower fan is usually an easy fix, if you are handy at all. I’ve replaced a few blower motors over the years, but we leave our central house fan on almost 24/7, unless the windows are open.

At least with whatever new unit you end up with, you will notice a significant power savings. Also make sure you have good drainage around your outdoor unit, as I’ve noticed the newer heat pumps produce A LOT of condensation.

No real experience with modern Carrier brand stuff, though I have used them successfully in the past. I think our new unit (new as of a year or two ago) is a Trane. My impression, from talking with the HVAC folks who replaced our old system, is that capacity and efficiency ratings are more important than brands. We bought a fairly high-end airbox unit because we got a terrific deal on it as a “scratch and dent.” I mean, it’s up in the sort of attic space of the garage, where no one sees it; why not get a scratched one for that spot?

Hah, this thread just popped up up for me and I just saw this question fro over a year ago. A year later and still going strong after ignoring the dire warnings. No fire, no failure, still staying cool!

@Clay hasn’t posted in 4 days, I assume he may be trapped in a bed of sweaty sheets.

Pretty much. We went with a Bosch heat pump but it won’t be installed for another 8 days. 😵‍💫

Did you buy a portable or anything in the meantime to keep the bedrooms cool? That goes a long, long way to getting from a broken mess to the day they install a new system.

We’re alright in bedrooms. My house is weird. Anyhow, it’s cooler here and raining today, which is nice.

It is cooler, the rain actually cooled things off this morning. We’ve been lucky this year that the sweltering heat hasn’t really been too bad … yet. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I could get used to this. But it’s not been a normal summer as far as temps go.

When we did our remodel, we had to do the low-flow toilets. The Toto low flows we have are a LOT better than the toilet we didn’t replace:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003935W7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We got a modern toilet recently and it’s like magic.