Anyone playing Magic: The Gathering Online?

In the old client you could invite folks when they were offline and they would get the message when they logged in.

Customer support just said that the person has to be online for me to invite. So far, I have requests from Wolff and Vesper.

I should be on tonight around 9-11ish CDT.

I would like an invite as well… my name is Agpolec. I should be around at around 9 eastern tonight, but I can be on other times if you know when you will be on Lorini.

So what does the clan give as far as say, QT3’ers being able to have their own tourney? Leagues are out from what you guys said (which is sad) but could we form a group and say, have a QT3 only sealed deck tourney?

From everything I can see, you cannot have a sealed deck tourney or a draft. Clans are basically chat groups.

Pity. One of those 2 would be awesome.

Wendelius

You guys need to stop. I’m on the verge of installing this.

Curious, how do people (the bots I guess) redeem tickets for money? Sometime in the next few days I’m going to trade away most of my old cards to a bot to get some tickets to get some Alara block cards.

You can do a casual 8 player draft, I believe.

As for converting tickets to cash, you can only do it through ebay.

Are the old cards actually worth money? That’s my big issue with MTG:O, I popped back into my account after a couple years (I have mainly IPA block cards) and it didn’t seem like anything I had was really worth anything any longer, because the cards are all old and not in the majority of the active play these days. (Maybe they’re just not worth anything because IPA block isn’t worth anything though; when I got them there was lots of to do about how powerful they were, but compared to what I’ve seen of Alara this may not be the case any longer.)

Right now I think if I get back into things I may wait for 2010 or even the new set this fall.

There were some bots that would give you a ticket for any 250 commons so that’s worth something I guess. I doubt if any of mine are worth much more than 10 for 1 ticket.

Do this to add a bot that will let you know who is selling what for how much: (taken from the MTGO forums)

Your buddylist is at the right of your screen, in your dock.
At the bottom, there is a button labeled “Add Buddy”
Click it and type in “infobot” (without quotes)
Now, infobot is on your buddylist (I’d also add bots that you have credit saved on (you can right click their name to add them to your buddylist as well)
Right click infobot’s name and select “Private Message”
In the message box that will appear type in “pc cardname”
It’ll be self explanatory from there.

Ooh, a QT3 clan would be awesome. I’m “Xemu” and would love an invite.

So is it worth keeping older cards around? How much casual extended play is there? I tried to sell a few older rare foils, and had trouble finding any bots interested in buying.

Would anyone talking about getting into the clan or just into MTG:O be interested in setting up a league of our own since the official ones don’t work? I was thinking the following setup:

Everyone sets up a new (league only) account. Initial cards would be 2x Shards, 2x Conflux, 2x Reborn, plus basic land to taste. (Or we could wait for M2010 and start there with the core set and a bit less metagame pre-worked out.) The league master (see below) would be responsible for getting the basic land necessary to supply for the league.

The setup would be as follows:

People open their packs, choose cards to make a single deck of 60 cards and a sideboard of 15 cards. They then give all the non-chosen cards to the league master. The deck (and sideboard) should be saved out to a .dek file for tracking purposes.

Matches are played, best 2 of 3. At the end of the match, the players open a trade and the winner of the match is allowed to pick from the loser’s sideboard one card for trade. The loser is then allowed to pick one card from the winner’s sideboard for trade. (This is designed to allow some dynamism in deck construction as games are played, but doing it this way ensures that the person who lost the match doesn’t get a card he considers crucial removed from his sideboard/deck.)

Every week (or two depending on logistics) league members can trade out any number of sideboard cards for the same number of cards from the league master. (This is designed to prevent folks from having stagnant decks that just can’t win and/or allow less experienced players to tune their decks as time goes on.)

At the end of the league, the total standings based on wins are calculated, and the remaining cards in the league pool are drafted in a top-to-bottom,bottom-to-top fashion. (So if there are three people, then the draft order in order of league standing is 1 2 3 3 2 1 to empty out the card pool).

A couple of thoughts:

This format doesn’t work if people don’t trust the league master, so it’s important for the league master to be available, willing to handle the card logistics, and be someone that folks trust. For the first go-round, any long-time forum denizen would work fine.

This format doesn’t work if players get uptight about opening a high value rare. If you’re interested in the format you have to be able to let go of cards perceived values (or, more accurately, value a dynamic but balanced play environment more than $25 worth of cards).

The reason for the new account discussed above is it’s far, far easier to track league only cards on a clean account than trying to make sure you set them aside properly on a main account. At the end of the league the league master can easily help folks to trade cards to their main accounts to get them into main collections.

Generally when I’ve run similar paper leagues like this, the lifetime of the league seems to be about 2-3 months; after that time everyone’s decks are about as tuned as they’ll get and relative win/loss orders get fairly locked, plus people just get bored.

So, all that being said, if at least a few folks have interest here, we could open up a specific thread and see about signing people up. I don’t know how hard it is to get a Clan set up, but it might make sense to set up a league specific clan to try to easily tell if folks are around to play. It would also probably be good to denote at least one specific time to try to be available for league play, probably two times or a longer time span would be better still.

I would do that.

(Guys; seriously. I have to install Boot Camp to run MTGO and I’m still thinking about doing it. You are all enablers.)

I’m definitely interested in a league idea. We could a similar setup (and even the same accounts) for sealed deck tournaments, as well. Crack open boosters online, immediately send the contents of them to the designated organizer person, and track the actual tournament brackets on the forum.

I’d be interested in participating, but not sure about wanting to set up a new account specifically for it. You can’t run two instances of MTGO3 on the same PC so I couldn’t integrate my leftovers into my main account’s collection easily if I made a new account just for this.

I’d be interested and would set up an account for this. Main issue is I’m in UK. Not sure how much of a pain it would be managing to hook up with any of you guys for games. I’ll sign up if I think there is a good chance of that working out.

I think waiting for M2010 might not be a bad idea. But open to either.

Wendelius