Anyone up for more Matrix movies?

Because of Gloria Foster’s death they had to use another actress to play The Oracle in The Matrix Revolutions, and were able to canonically explain the switch and even work it into the storyline, so if they were to do something similar with Morpheus it’s certainly not without precedent.

They could certainly do it consistently with the fiction of their world, it would just suck because Larry Fishburne is not replaceable.

Dave may be right there, this may be an entirely new instance of the Matrix after Neo crashed the previous one. This Neo and Trinity may be reincarnations of the One and his boo. I could get behind that.

That’s how I’m approaching what they’ve shown so far given the events of the previous films. It makes complete sense that this happens over and over and the robots continue to subjugate humanity in this way.

Apparently that article discusses the end of Ghost in the Shell, which I haven’t watched yet, so I’ll have to remind myself to read that later.

There are couple sentences about it that…really won’t damage or impact your experience with GITS, imho.

If anything spoilers for Ghost in the Shell might make it more comprehensible.

Fuck The Matrix!

What we really need is a Neuromancer movie, or even a Count Zero.

I am 100% with Lilly W. This is a backtrack…a total regression. Just look at all the references to original Matrix! I couldn’t care less. Great, more derivative bullshit. Alt-F4.

Ok, all that is an interesting theory. It will be cool to go back and watch the movies again with that theory in mind and see if things actually make sense from a science fiction perspective.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I don’t really think it is a theory…more like a simple explanation of some scifi aspects of the trilogy that are not super obviously elaborated upon.

In terms of revisiting old story beats, yes, but it sure looks like they’re going to find a Neo who has a lot more in common with old hermit Luke. That alone is more interesting than most of what the (Matrix) sequels did, and with David Mitchell writing, I’m expecting character development as strong as Force Awakens, hopefully with self-contained conclusions.

Well now! I’ve devoured every one of his novels, he is a good fit. That said, I was psyched for Michael Chabon’s contributions in John Carter and I’m not sure I sniffed a word of his prose in there (it was fine, just not very Chabon-like). Well, let’s see if they can find some surprises for us. The Matrix was genius because you never knew what was coming, whereas the trailer feels like a somewhat standard narrative of amnesiac Neo, rediscovering all the things we already know all over again.

+1 for the Michael Chabon reference. My favorite author.

Did you watch Picard?

I was about to jump in with the same question, but was afraid I’d derail discussion with it. But yeah, Chabon’s stock fell quite a bit for me after watching Picard.

I’m actually going through Picard now, and I have to confess I like it, though maybe it falls apart in the last couple of episodes. That said, it’s not like it has any amazing prose or anything. If I didn’t know it was Michael Chabon, there’s nothing that would tell me it was. (His skill is far more apparent in Netflix’s Unbelievable miniseries.) My suspicion is that writing novels and writing for television are orthogonal skillsets.

I’ll be curious to hear what you think after the last episode. I’ll say no more.

Deep cut.

Oh man, I overlooked that reference. I loved the Death Gate books in college.