Anyone want to play a game of chess?

Those ideas were discussed beforehand, but the goal was for all players to have multiple games, so five rounds and Swiss made sense to achieve that.

Anyway, if anyone wants a pickup game shoot me an invite or PM.

Just pointing out the most excellent YouTube channel St. Louis Chess Club:

It’s been fun to watch my comfortability change with respect to these since playing more Chess recently. This time last year I don’t think I would have been up for an hour long dive into the English opening (I much preferred the 5 minute bite-sized, humor-filled lessons from Mato Jelik, whose channel is now unfortunately known as “Chess School”), now though I appreciate the depth and thoroughness of a lecture like this and to better understand names like Nakamura.

St.Louis Chess, that’s a great channel. What’s with the flowers in the video above, just when the video started they put them in front of the teacher.

I’m pretty sure it was a practical joke

White won. I am starting to like the QG positions for White. If Black does not take the c4 pawn I am fine to trade my c-pawn for a d-pawn.

@krayzkrok, the clock is ticking on our Queen’s Gambit match! T-minus five hours and ticking.

noted. Sorry, that it timed out. Looking at the computer lines, I think weak king and dominant bishop pair causing the evaluation to be in favour of black. However, I wonder if AWS260 would found some of the moves. There is a great bishop trade on c3 possible because of Qb1+ check. I didn’t see it.

Based on my level of play, I probably wouldn’t have found those moves. On the other hand, I spent a lot of time looking at this position over the past couple of days!

Congrats to @AWS260 on a strong win in our casual game!

I just accepted a request to join the Qt3 team on lichess from a marksweston. @Mark_Weston I’d bet that is you?

Yes, that’s me. I thought I’d said that in my message, but maybe I fluffed it.

Anyway, I realize there’s a tournament in progress. But who’s open to playing some extra games? I’d like to send some invites.

I probably didn’t look for it, but all good. Challenge for a casual correspondence game sent!

Thanks for the invites. Here we go.

How do people feel about the “takeback” feature in lichess?

The first time a takeback request popped in a lichess game, my immediate reaction was irritated dismissal. This is a chess game! I’m used to “touch, move” and although it’s been decades since I’ve played at a club or a tournament, it seems like the training was fully internalized. And I’m afraid I also indulged in a bit of self-righteousness along the lines of “I never ask for a takeback, why would you?”

Having thought about it a bit more, and played a bunch more games online and experienced a few mis-clicks of my own, I’ve mostly changed my mind. So I’ll normally accept a takeback request. Though I sometimes still resent it when it seems obvious that someone made a silly mistake, rather than just clicked on the wrong place.

Anyway this came to mind because I asked for a takeback just now in one of the games in the QT3 group. I wasn’t paying attention and thought I was on the analysis board, and suddenly realized I’d actually sent my move. My first reaction was to send the request, but thinking about it now I’m not 100% I was entitled to; it’s not like I was under time pressure or anything! So I’m curious what other people think, and also wanted to say that while I do occasionally ask for takebacks now when my error is purely UI related, I still respect anyone’s right to turn them down. After all, takebacks really aren’t part of chess.

I’m totally fine with it. I’ve used the function before, when I mis-clicked. And I have come very, very close to accidentally submitting a move because I forgot that I wasn’t on the analysis board.

The Laws of Chess state:

“if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard one or more of his own pieces, he must move the first piece touched which can be moved”

If you do not make a ‘deliberate’ move in an online game and make an ‘accidental’ move - then there should be a mechanism to reverse it.

lol, looking up the actual laws of chess I never knew this before in relation to blind/visually impaired games - that’s wild.

Also reminds me of these maps of names of chess pieces (King is just King everywhere)

8 thumbs up for the maps!

Where’s the like button? Excellent post man, thanks!

It cracks me up that all this time, the Russians were saying “Boat takes Elephant”.