Apex Legends - battle royale in the Titanfall universe

Season 3 is here and the brand new map is very cool.

I played a lot last night and got my first win of the new season. They’ve made a bunch of changes to the weapons that I think have really changed the game when it comes to longer range conflict.

It was notable that it’s harder to melt people with the R99 pre-mag upgrade. The start of matches is a lot more unpredictable now from what I found. A couple times I thought I had someone, that bit of randomness in the recoil probably caught me out. I enjoyed the Hemlok a lot more and was not at all averse to picking that up and using it. I love that the Charge Rifle is in now as it’s a totally unique Titanfall weapon that has really no analog in other games.

As for the map, it’s a wonderful colorful change of pace from King’s Canyon. World’s Edge has some cool rolling hills and some unique urban areas that feel a lot more like Titanfall’s maps but are clearly tweaked for Apex. I played a lot of Pathfinder and that was a damn good time zipping around the buildings. It’s still not quite pilot worthy movement, but there are a lot of interesting places you can get to. The snow/ice areas look fantastic and “cold” while the lava areas give you that “hot” sensation that great artwork can do, and of course it still seems really alien in appearance. It took me quite awhile to get comfortable with where I was in relation to the rest of the places on the map, but that takes time to learn. I also love the train! Holy crap was that fun to have gunfights on while it’s moving.

So far so really good. The new Legend seems cool although I did not buy him. Lots of others did and he was super useful for battlefield awareness, which IMO is still the number one thing you want in these types of games. I also like the new dialogue the characters use if you get third partied and that there’s a lot of talking in general. That’s something that’s so very welcome coming back to this after Call of Duty. Pinging map locations and context sensitive pinging is just plain genius still.

I’ll be playing a lot more. They can bring back King’s Canyon somewhere down the road. It’s fine to totally change the map as far as I’m concerned. In some ways it’s like a whole new game again.